FORT BELVEDERE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1294245

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: FORT BELVEDERE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORT BELVEDERE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 11:24:47.

Location

Statutory Address: FORT BELVEDERE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Runnymede (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 96636 68184

Details

SU 96 NE EGHAM LONDON ROAD (off) 3/117 Fort Belvedere

GV II*

House, formerly folly then fort and house. Built originally c1750-55 for William, Duke of Cumberland probably by Isaac Ware. Enlarged and altered for George IV 1827-29 by Wyattville then working at Windsor Castle. Reclaimed modernised and used by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII up to the Abdication in 1936. The original triangular folly with hexagonal angle turrets can still be distinguished in spite of the crenell- ations of George IV's fort. It was built of brick, but like the rest of the buildings, rendered by Wyattville with 'garnetted' (flint galleted) joints. Turned by George IV into a battery for royal salutes, etc, with the Duke of Cumberland; bronze guns, Wyattville heightened the flanking tower, linked it to the new Magazine Tower to rest first by an ashtray and forecast, then by an angled 2 storey entrance block. To the North was added an octagonal single storey dinning room and a 3 storey complete with tower to South East. Further South East was built a small cottage linked by archway. C1910 additions included a larger service wing forming small office cart to East (replaced c1955 by small modern block), and a low single storey addition with porch to South. No structural additions were made for Edward VIII, but various alterations and refurbishing supervised by Sir Gates Gilbert Scott. Approached for the South, Fort Belvedere presents an uneven crenellated skyline with angled masses. To the left is the hexagonal Magazine Tower linked to the side of the original triangular structure and flaking turrets by angled 2 storey entrance block fronted by low single storey c1910 projections with porch to right. Behind porch to left is staircase tower with recessed stump of original 2nd stage, separating the entrance block for a flat 2 storey, 3 window, extension which the porch meets as an angle which fronts the earlier 3 storey block. To right is an archway which links with the 2 storey 1 window crenellated cottage with angled bay on ground floor. On the South front the 1929-30 alterations involved the insertion of flat headed steep framed windows. Interior: most important is the original nuclues which retains excellent naturalistic and formal stucco work in the upper storeys of both NE and NW towers (reminiscent of work done c1750 at Rousham by Roberts of Oxford). The present "Queen's Bedroom" is probably the original Great rooms in the upper storey of the Belvedere with the added angled bay (by Wyattville) with gothic glazing to North. Most of the interior has been carefully decorated in the late C18 and Regency styles.



Listing NGR: SU9663668184

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 289729

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing