Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294591.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 02:36:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Guildford (District Authority)
West Clandon
National Grid Reference:
TQ 04210 51218



4/195 Clandon Park 14/6/67 GV I

Country House. Designed in c.1713, built 1725-31 for Thomas Onslow by Giacomo Leoni, Porte Cochere added in 1876, to west front, by the Fourth Earl of Onslow. Red brick with stone dressings, roof obscured by parapets, probably tiled. Square plan, with porch projecting to west, all four elevations different. West front: main entrance - Two storeys and attic over basement. 9 bays, centre three stone-faced and pedimented. Angle quoins to ends, stone plat band over ground floor modillion cornices over first floor and attic, and balustraded parapet above. Square attic windows under gauged brick heads, glazing bar sash windows on stone cill bands to first floor. Centre three windows on first floor under pediment hoods on scrolls. Six,plain arched,windows to ground floor, with two windows, flanking central porte cochere, in rusticated range with impost mouldings. Round arched, doubled doors in single storey, balustraded porte cochere with channelled rustication on front. Impressive double flight staircase to front, in sedan pattern with balustrades. Left hand return front - North facade - Two storeys and attic with basement, on ground floor level on this front. Five bays, centre three projecting with rusticated brick quoins to ground and first floors, and on ends, round-arch windows to ground floor, square-stone porch below. East front - garden front - Two storeys and attics over basements with plat band over ground floor, cornice over first and attic floors and balustraded parapet above. 11 bays with centre three projecting slightly, over stone basement. Square windows to attics, glazing bar sash windows on first and ground floors under gauged heads, round arches to windows on ground floor. Fluted stone Corinthian pilasters to centre bays on first floor, swags linking the pilasters, arched windows on ground floor centre bays with linking impost moulding. South front:- Two storeys and attics over basement with plat band over ground floor, cornices over first and attic floors and balustraded parapets. Brick quoins to angles. 5 bays, centre three projecting slightly with giant Corinthian pilasters rising to the first floor. Stone swags over outer first floor windows. Interior:- Rich interiors, the principal room of the house being the very fine Entrance Hall:- Two storeys with two superimposed Corinthian orders, the upper one smaller for perspective effect; Greek key pattern soffits to lower order. Blind aedicules to three sides of first floor with gallery/corridor to fourth side. Five doors in egg and dart surrounds lead to ground floor rooms around the Hall. Two very fine fireplaces and overmantles by Rysbrack depicting Sacrifice to Bacchus and Sacrifice to Diana. Broken crowning Pediments and flanking scrolls. Baroque style plasterwork ceiling, attributed to Atari. Central cirlce with relief of seated figures and complex symmetrical pattern around it, with shells and angle cartouches. The limbs of the main figures spill out from the frame in Baroque manner. To the left of the Hall-plain C18 staircase with iron handrail, to the right a 3- flight return staircase with half landings, C19, in C17 manner with carved newel posts. Morning Room:- Late Palladian, with oval ceiling plasterwork and urn frieze to walls. Adamesque marble fireplace. Bay leaf garlands and egg and dart mouldings to doors. Palladio Room:- Panelled plaster ceiling with geometrical angle patterns and central oval. Light putti with low relief clouds to centre relief, deep frieze and cornice to walls. C18 fireplace.

Clandon Park Contd.. 4/195 Hunting Room:- Late C18 fireplaces. C17 pattern ceiling with angle garlands and rectangular centre panel: modillioned cornice. Green Drawing Room:- Central plaster oval to ceiling with attached roundels. Bay leaf, garland freize, C18 fireplace with flanking caryatids and decorated bolection moulding; swans-neck pediment to top. Saloon:- Massive black marble fireplace with central white marble panel; grey marble garlands to flanking piers. Eyebrow pediment to top. Oval plaster ceiling with strapwork and cartouche decoration. Putti and classical figures to centre. State Bedroom:- Modillion and bay leaf garland ceiling cornice, plasterwork ceiling. State Dining Room:- Paired, lugged, classical, egg and dart fireplaces with pedimented overmantles. North West Corner of house containing Speakers Room etc., redecorated in Louis Quatorze style. Grounds laid out by Capability Brown in 1776.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 507-10

COUNTRY LIFE: Articles in Vol. 62 pp 366, 398 and 434.

Listing NGR: TQ0421051218


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 507-10
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 366, 398
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 434
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 40 Surrey,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].