HATCHLANDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1294970
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
HATCHLANDS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HATCHLANDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 03:36:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
HATCHLANDS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
East Clandon
National Grid Reference:
TQ 06733 52009

Details

TQ 05SE EAST CLANDON C.P. THE STREET

5/19 Hatchlands 14/6/67

GV I

Country House. 1756-7 for Admiral Edward Boscawen, interior designed by Robert Adam (his earliest dated work) in 1759. Alterations to west front and staircase added by Joseph Bonomi in 1797 for the Sumner family. Main entrance transferred and porch added in C.1890 by Halsey Ricardo for Lord Rendel, music room added to north end of west front in 1903 by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Red brick on stone plinth with low pitched, hipped slate roofs. Original house half-H shape with entrance front to west, now with extensions to north and new entrance to east. 2 storeys to east and south fronts, 2 storeys and attics to northern service wing and west front of main house; single storey music room. Entrance front (East): Modillion eaves cornice with rear stacks to left and right. Main house with two storey angle bays flanking recessed, 3 windowed centre range. 12-pane glazing bar sash fenestration. Single storey projecting porch (1889 by Halsey Ricardo with concave sides containing arched niches. Flat front, rusticated with pilaster-piers surmounted by stone spheres. Arched,traceried fanlight over double doors of 6 fielded panels. Service wing set back to right. 2 storeys and attic, glazing bar sash fenestration, 4 windows on each floor, squat windows to attics. Two stacks, one to right end. Left hand return front:- (South) 2 storeys, 7 bays with central bay angled and projecting. Glazing bar sash fenestration. Rear: Old entrance front: 2 storeys and attic with modillion eaves, 5 bay front, central bay in shallow break under small pediment. Glazing bar sash windows. 7 windows across first and attic floors, 3 windows to central break. Rendered, paired Doric pilasters to ground floor centre with entablature over. Double doors to centre in flanking lights under arched traceried fanlight, lintel extending to form string course between pilasters. Single storey music room to left; 3 bays with stone angle quoins and aprons below the windows. Stone balustrade over eaves cornice with urns on square newels to ends. Stone coping to shaped gable end to left. Central ridge lantern under dome and sphere finial, Three 15-pane sash windows under gauged brick and stone keystoned heads, alternating with arched niches under cut and rubbed brick garlands.

Interior:- Library: Formerly the drawing room. Fine Adam panelled ceiling with central circle. Neo-classical Piranese type of decoration with classical figures. Gilding and painting of Edwardian period. Fine overdoors. Drawing room: Formerly State Dining Room: Adam ceiling with central oval with scroll and shell patterns. Fine gilt cornice with dolphins and further scrolls. Fine large fireplace possibly by Rysbrack in white marble.Large caryatids supporting overmantle with central carved panel containing chariotfigure. Dining Room: Created at end of C19. Gilt panelled and plasterwork ceiling. White and coloured marble fireplace. Modillioned eaves and egg and dart door mouldings. Morning Room: Formerly the Lesser Dining Room. Scroll and dolphin freize, modillion cornice. The Garden Hall: Former main entrance: By Joseph Bonomi neo-classical style, black and white marble floor, with arched niches containing classical figures. Fine ceiling rose. The Boscawen Room: shallow gadrooned plasterwork ceiling. The Staircase Hall: Plasterwork frames on walls by Robert Adam, as is panelled ceiling. Further plasterwork musical instruments and high relief foliage added to end of C19. The Music Room: Domed ceiling with central garland-edged oculus. 2 Ionic columns to each end of the room support outer edge of dome. Organ case with putti and swan neck pediment by Aumonier, organ itself by J. S. Walker.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 309-311.

COUNTRY LIFE: Articles; 17th September and 1 October 1953.

Listing NGR: TQ0673352009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288599
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 309-311
'Country Life' in 17 September, (1953)
'Country Life' in 1 October, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04184/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Karry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].