CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1295089
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295089.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:09:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Thurloxton
National Grid Reference:
ST 27458 30425

Details

ST23SE THURLOXTON CP

THURLOXTON VILLAGE

7/157 Church of St Giles

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican Parish church. Norman; C14; predominantly C15; C19 restoration including addition of north aisle of 1868. Random red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, triple Roman tile roofs, coped verge with a finial. Nave with south porch and north aisle, chancel with north vestry, west tower. Perpendicular, aisle Middle Pointed. Embattled 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window dated 1500, west door. Two bay nave, square-headed 2 and 3-light windows, each light cusped, stopped labels, leaded lights. South porch with a semi-circular head outer door opening, probably C18, dropped keystone, moulded imposts, paired doors, lamp over. Three bay North aisle with 3 cross-gables, 2-light windows. Two bay chancel, square-headed 2-light windows, leaded lights, blocked priests door. Inner doorway to porch with an early door; interior plastered, nave and chancel under C15/C16 ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and bosses. Three bay arcade to aisle. Norman tub font with a C17 cover. Piscina. Rood screen with 3 arches, dated 1734 the middle containing the doorway, a reading and a prayer desk, pulpit in similar style with 4 carved figures and back-panelling. C18 pews; some C19 pews. C18 and C19 monuments, one by Pollard of Taunton; Jacobean altar table, C18 decalogue plaques under tower with painted figures, Arms of Geo,II. C14, C15, C16 bells. Stained glass: East window of 1883; aid C19 West window; 2 Victoria Jubilee windows, C19 organ, Parson Woodforde, the Cl8 diarist famous for "Diary of a Country Parson' was priest-in-charge for 3 months; (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, undated),

Listing NGR: ST2745830425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269423
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Giles Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06432/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].