MONASTERY OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT, DOWNSIDE ABBEY WITH PETRE CLOISTER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1295178
Date first listed:
25-Jun-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
MONASTERY OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT, DOWNSIDE ABBEY WITH PETRE CLOISTER, FOSSE WAY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295178.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:23:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONASTERY OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT, DOWNSIDE ABBEY WITH PETRE CLOISTER, FOSSE WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratton on the Fosse
National Grid Reference:
ST 65468 50804

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

ST 65 SE 5/202

STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE FOSSE WAY (west side)

Monastery of St Gregory The Great, Downside Abbey with Petre Cloister

(Formerly listed as Monastery, West Cloister, Petre Cloister to south and Refectory forming a contiguous group, Downside Abbey and School)

GV II*

Monastery and attached cloister ranges. 1873. The south end not completed until 1899. By A M Dunn and E J Hansom. Bath stone ashlar with red tile roofs. Rectangular double depth block with forward projecting wing where it adjoins church and taller square tower at south end of range. Collegiate High Victorian Gothic style. Main west front of three storeys and attics, the top two being a later addition, also to the tower which is a full four storeys. 7 bay front made up of projecting wing with gable and gable to return, two gabled bays, entrance bay formed by half projecting octagonal tower with conical roof, two more gabled bays and the tower, the bays separated by buttresses with offsets. The windows are mainly of two narrow lights with trefoil heads and divided by a stone mullion. The ground floor windows also have transom and hoodmould, transoms also to the windows of the entrance tower and the top floor of the main tower. Central bay to base of tower. Gables with stone verges and apex crosses. Battlements to both tower parapets. South front of tower is three bays with stair to right. East front has ground floor treated as cloister, ten bays divided by buttresses, four gables and tower above, with taller stair tower. Petre Cloister is single storey running from the monastery to the school. Five light Perpendicular windows divided by buttresses. Interior has plaster panels between ribs. Stained glass with coats of arms of families connected with the community. Plainer cloister returns north to church on east side but overbuilt by C20 buildings which are the guest wing of the Abbey. Interior of monastery not inspected. History: Built for a community of Benedictine monks founded at St Gregory's monastery at Douai in Flanders in 1607, house re-established in England in 1795, present estate purchased 1813.





Listing NGR: ST6546650789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268000
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fitzgerald Lombard, C , A Guide to the Church of St Gregory the Great Downside Abbey, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/14466/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Hornyold-Strickland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].