CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1295212

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:59:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)

Parish: Burbage

National Grid Reference: SP 44275 92747

Details

SP 4492 - 4592 BURBAGE CHURCH STREET (east side) 17/6 8.3.63 Church of St. Catherine

GV II*

Parish church. 1842, by M. Habershon, incorporating some medieval work. Vestry and organ chamber added in 1879 by W. Smith. Sandstone ashlar and slate roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with vestry to the north. The 3 stage west tower has a medieval core; it is marked by offsets and has angle buttresses, a hollow-moulded parapet string broken on each side by a gargoyle, and a crenellated parapet. 4-centred west door with roll-moulded surround, flanking pilasters and open pediment breaking into a 2-light window above; this has perpendicular-style tracery and a 2-centred arch. Rectangular loops to the second stage. 2-light transomed belfry openings with decorated tracery. Recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. The nave and aisles have buttresses at the bay divisions and corners, and 2-centred windows containing either Y-tracery or 3 graded lancet lights. All windows have hollow-chamfered hood-moulds with head-stops. The south porch has a 4-centred entrance arch and an open pediment like that of the west door. Inside is a 2-centred doorway with nail studded old oak door dated 1633 inside; it bears decorative wrought iron work. Chancel: diagonal buttresses at the eastern corners; hollow-chamfered string beneath a plain parapet. Windows with cusped Y-tracery to the sides and intersecting tracery to the east. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades of very tall pointed arches on octagonal columns. The tower arch is of the same height but this is medieval rather than C19 and has 3 continuous chamfered orders around a 2-centred drop arch. Pointed and roll-moulded chancel arch on triple shafts with capitals carved as heads. On the north side of the chancel is a 2-bay arcade giving access to the organ chamber. King-post roofs over nave and chancel with open arcades between tie- beams and principals. Fixtures and fittings: bellringers gallery within the tower with Gothic balustrade. Octagonal font with panelled sides, C14 in style. Simple pine pews in nave. Red veined marble pulpit, on stone base. Monuments: Anthony and Magdalen Grey, 9th Earl and Countess of Kent, died 1643 and 1653; massive aedicule with paired Ionic columns and swan neck pediment containing a coat of arms. Blackwell Dakyns, died 1721; aedicule with Corinthian pilasters and pronounced rounded pediment containing a coat of arms. Incised slab to Richard Wightman , died 1568. B.O.E. p. 117.

Listing NGR: SP4427592747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188133

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 117

End of official listing