This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1295602



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Pimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-May-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BOMERE HEATH C.P. - SJ 41 NW 5/42 YEATON PEVEREY (formerly listed as Yeaton 31.5.73 Peavery).


Shown on O.S. map as Yeaton Pevery. Large country house, latterly school, now disused. 1890-2 (dated 1892), by Aston Webb for Sir Offley Wakeman. Red sandstone ashlar, and some timber framing to rear with plastered infill. Graded slate roofs. In a free Jacobean style. 2 storeys and attic with service wing of one storey and attic. Chamfered plinths, moulded string courses, and parapets with moulded copings, some sections pierced and with obelisk finials. Tall brick stacks consisting of grouped shafts with round arches between and over- sailing caps; pair of tall integral ashlar end stacks to west. Mainly moulded mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights, some with separate dripstones. North (entrance) front: the main elements of this asymmetrical composition include: 3-storey square tower off-centre to left with entrance consisting of a pair of 3-panelled doors and moulded round archway with carved coat of arms above; frieze with carved inscription, carried round from wing to left. Pierced parapet with obelisks; octagonal stone cupola on square base in right-hand front corner, with louvred round arches and ogee lead dome with weathervane. 2-storey wing projecting to left with pair of 2-light first-floor windows and ground- floor wide segmental bow with large 5-light window. 3-window hall range off-centre to right with various mullioned and transomed windows, including central ground-floor canted bay. Gabled wing to right with 2-storey canted bay. Right-hand return front: 4 small gables; the outer pair project and have tall panelled ashlar stacks with battlemented caps, that to left integral and that to right to one side of gable with moulding at base dying into wall. Inscription to frieze below. String course, carried round to south front. Small one-storey canted bay in angle to right with battlemented parapet. Conservatory to left with buttresses, battlemented parapet and hipped glazed roof. South (garden) front: 1:5:1 bays. Projecting outer wings with first-floor oriel windows. Sundial beneath left-hand oriel. Recessed centre with jettied timber framed first floor; 3 central gabled oriel windows with wooden mullioned and transomed windows and much well-carved detail, the central window with 2 central canted lights. Service range adjoining to west, with mullioned and transomed stone windows, gabled dormers and semi dormers and plain ashlar stacks. Central projecting gabled wing to north with small square ogee-capped cupola on ridge. Interior not inspected but known to exist from photographs (N.M.R.). Richly detailed neo-Jacobean ornament and fittings. Entrance/staircase hall with panelling and deeply-moulded cross beamed ceiling. Lower staircase- end has pierced elliptical drop arcading with pendants. Dog-leg staircase with closed string, barleysugar balusters, moulded handrail and panelled square newel posts with pierced finials. Balustraded gallery. Other richly decorated rooms, with ornamental panelling, enriched plaster ceilings and wall decoration, inglenooks and chimney-pieces. Some original wallpaper and light fittings. The house stands in landscaped grounds, including a terrace (q.v.), forecourt walls with pavilions (q.v.), and a stable block (q.v.) to the north-east. B.o.E., p. 331; Clive Aslet, The Last Country Houses (1982), pp. 131 and 331; Julia Wolton, Endangered Domains (1985), Save, p. 16; Shropshire Magazine, Vol. 24, No. 6 (August 1971), p. 33; N.M.R.

Listing NGR: SJ4424518796

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Aslet, C, The Last Country House, (1982), 131
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 331
Wolton, J, Endangered Domains, (1985), 16
'Shropshire Magazine' in August, , Vol. 24, (1971), 33

National Grid Reference: SJ 44245 18796


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:23:40.

End of official listing