This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1295733



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263907

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ASHILL CP ASHILL VILLAGE ST31NW 2/10 The Old Rectory, with boundary wall attached to south-east corner -

- II*

Former rectory. Some C16 fragments; house remodelled c1800 and by Revd Mickleburgh 1833, re-roofed c1900. Local lias stone rubble, dressed quoins and Ham stone dressings; mostly plain clay tile roofs, but north crosswing has double Roman tiles, mostly with overhung gables, replacing thatch; yellow brick chimney stacks. Built on a curve, with projection to east and with north crosswing; roadside elevation 5 bays, of which bays 2 and 3 are set back. Bay 1 is the crosswing gable, with a tall pointed-arched window with 'Y'-tracing, lower part now blocked; bays 2 & 3 masked by stone wall having plain boarded doors in heavy frames, with glazed roof over yard behind; upper bay 2 has a 2-light 4-centre arched Y-traceried window with label, containing stained glass; bay 4 has a 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window, with pointed-arched light having incised spandrils, under square label, and above a small 3-light casement with small rendered gable over, both windows diamond-leaded; to bay 5 another tall 'Y'-traceried window with transome and square-stop label, diamond-leaded with thick cases to upper portion; above a gable with a stretched quatrefoil window, and to each side of this bay blind pointed arches of nearly same height. East, garden, elevation of 6 bays, of which bays 1 and 6 project: bay 1 has 4-centre-arched 'Y'-tracery windows to both levels, with quatrefoil light in gable, the corners of the wing have deep chamfers; bay 2 and 4 have similar windows below and C20 casements above set in gables; Bay 3 has a cross-traceried ogee-arched doorway with Gothic door, and 2-light mullioned window above; bay 5 has a single-storey projection with flat roof behind battlemented parapet, with arched recesses to south and east faces with C20 door in former, and in the latter a C19 circular window; bay 6 is the gable end of the crosswing, with 'Y'-traceried window and 4-centre-arched doorway to left. Inside, much work must be of the 1833 reshaping, but some is earlier; the doors have pointed arched panels; the staircase of c1800; in the lower room; of the crosswing much Gothic revival timberwork, but the ceiling appears to be late C16, 8 panelled with moulded beads having a few C19 repairs; the south-east root has convex curved outer corners and a fine Gothic decorated plasterwork ceiling. General history of building unclear, although at one stage there were 3 cottages, with a prebendary house to the north, demolished in the C19: it was re-roofed c1900 after fire destroyed the thatched Ashill Inn opposite; it was sold by the Diocese in 1958. Attached to the south-east corner of the house the south boundary wall, of late C19 in local stone ruble, with slim near-ashlar piers, about 2 metres high, and capped with cast-iron railings having ogee-arched work and barbed top points, and recessed pedestrian gate in centre, all adding to the setting of the house and the streetscene generally in the centre of the village,

Listing NGR: ST3217717336

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 32177 17336


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 01:00:10.

End of official listing