CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1295821
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), ARLESEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:05:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), ARLESEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ickleford
National Grid Reference:
TL 18240 31641

Details

ICKLEFORD ARLESEY ROAD TL 1831 (West side)

10/35 Church of St. Katherine 27.5.68 (C of E)

GV I

Parish church. Nave mid C12, chancel and W tower early C13, S porch and nave roof mid C15. Restored 1859 by Sir George Gilbert Scott for Mrs. Marion Dudley Ryder when the S aisle, S chapel (now organ chamber), and N vestry added. Masonry walls plastered externally, incised diaper design to S aisle and chapel, uncoursed knapped flint to S clearstorey, limestone dressings, copper roof to nave and chancel, lead roof to S aisle, S chapel and W tower pyramidal roof with vane. A small church with square-ended chancel, higher nave with aisle and clearstorey only on S, crenellated S porch, and short square W tower with massive buttresses, diagonal at W corners. The chancel has a C13 lancet window to N of altar, C15 cinquefoil piscina to S, 3-bays open timber roof, triplet of stepped lancets at E with jamb shafts inside and out and stained glass c.1860 perhaps by Clayton & Bell in medallion and mosaic design. Wooden altar rail on gilded iron standards, mural tablet on S to Susan Cockayne d.1790, high 2-lights cinquefoil N window above lean-to N vestry reached by round arched doorway with heavy roll moulding. In S wall a wide C19 Romanesque arch with interlinked chain motif to arch of 2 orders. Wide, pointed 2-centred chancel arch C13 (Pevsner) but same vigorous tooling as C19 work, with dog-tooth ornament to arch and jamb shafts. Tall nave has noticeable batter to N wall and 5-bays C15 open timber roof of low pitch with vigorously carved stone corbels, wall posts, heavy straight moulded braces to tie beams, king post on each with braces to ridge beam, and one purlin to each slope. C14 2-lights window with ogee tracery in head in N and S wall near W end, and C12 S door and (blocked) N doorway. S door has semi-circular moulded arch of 3 orders, 2 shafts on each side with leaf-carved caps and moulded abaci. The simpler N doorway has chevron moulding on its rear arch, simple chamfered imposts, chevron ornament to semi-circular, and chamfered external joints. The N wall is buttressed externally and has a bulge near the E end for the rood stair, next the C14 window with 3 cinquefoil lights and ogee tracery under a square head which lights the pulpit. Narrow pointed doorway with grille to rood stair by pulpit at NE corner of nave, and to E of doorway a C15 piscina. Large N wall monument to Richard Ansell d.1726 signed by R. Easton, a bellied cartouche with putti, drapes and armorial shield. Hatchments over N and S doors. Octagonal C19 arcaded stone pulpit. Octagonal stone font on 8 coloured marble shafts with C13 style caps and bases. Brass of Thomas Somer and Marjory his wife c.1380, half-length figures with imperfect inscription. Vigorously carved C19 Romanesque 3-bays S arcade with dog-tooth ornament and circular pillars, with C19 circular S clearstorey windows over with quatrefoil tracery. Low S aisle with open timber roof, 3 pairs of pointed S windows with shafted external jambs, and elaborate alabaster memorial to Dudley Ryder family filling W wall. Taller S porch with crenellated parapet and niche central over 2-centred continuously moulded entrance arch of 2 orders. 2 stage W tower has 2-centred arch from nave, a small C13 lancet window on the S, 2-lights C15 pointed W window with central mullion rising to head has stained glass of 1898 by Kempe. Small battened W door inserted below sill. C15 2-lights bell opening on each face with trefoil lights under square head with label. Rectangular sockets flank windows. (RCHM (1911)128-9: VCH (1912)23-4: Kelly (1914)167: Pevsner (1977)213-4).

Listing NGR: TL1824031641

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163045
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 23-4
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 213-4
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 167
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09702/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].