CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1296005
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296005.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 02:30:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Selworthy
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 91984 46807

Details

SS9146 SELWORTHY CP SELWORTHY VILLAGE 26/106 Church of All Saints 22.5.69

GV I Parish church. C14 lower stage of tower, rest Perpendicular, south aisle dated 1538, 1875 restoration revealed wall paintings now much eroded. Roughcast over rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage unbuttressed tower, moulded plinth, square north-east stair turret, 2-light louvred bell openings, C19 2-light west window, no west door; 3-light windows to west ends of aisles, crenellated and buttressed south aisle, 3-light window left of 2-storey diagonally butressed porch, 2-light window above moulded, pointed arch opening with decorated panelled jambs and soffit, remains of holy water stoop beside depressed 4-centred arch door with C16 studded door; two 2 X 4-light windows to right, similar at east end of aisle, 4-centred arch priests door, 3-light east widnow, 2 x 4 light window east end of north aisle, four 3-light windows with rood stair projection between first and second bays. Interior: rendered, remains of painted wall deocration, exposed quoins to openings. Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vine leaf capitals, respond at south-west end dated 1538. No chancel arch, corbelled beam inserted, pointed chancel arch chamfered in 2 orders. C19 wagon roof to chancel, ceiled wagon roof to nave with fine bosses and wall plate, south aisle very fine wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, triple frieze wall plate with angels, north aisle open wagon roof with bosses carved in 1890 by local woodworking class. Openings to roodstair in north aisle. Statue niches and piscina in east wall. West end oak panelled gallery added c1750. Squire's pew in the form of ogee headed oriel to parvise with slender wooden column and panelling, 1804, 4-centred arch head doorway to stairs right. Pulpit of reset medieval panelling with C17-C18 sounding board and hour glass. Stained glass; fragments of medieval glass in east window of north aisle, windows by Sir Ninian Comper and Clayton and Bell. Norman font with tall C19 cover and pulley. C18 baluster turned communion rails from a church in north Devon. Organ inserted 1983 from St Clements Church, Ipswich. Reredos by Philip Burgess of West Porlock, 1900. Metal bound C16 parish chest. Good collection of monuments including marble pair by Sir Francis Chantrey to Charles Baldwyn and Charles Richard Dyke Acland died 1837 and 1828, slate and marble wall tablets to William Blackford, died 1730, and to Charles Stayninq, died 1700; and collection of brasses including one to Guilmi Fleete died 1617. One of the finest churches in the county. (Photographs in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9198446806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265524
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03660/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Garry Mayo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].