CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1296069
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRONT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296069.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 18:50:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Monksilver
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
ST 07279 37429

Details

ST03NE MONKSILVER CP FRONT STREET (West side)

5/17 Church of All Saints

22.5.69

GV I

Parish church. Some C12 work, C14 tower, C15 stair turret to tower, porch reconstructed, chancel widened, nave rebuilt, South aisle and chapel added, church restored 1843-63 when tower crenellated. Red sandstone random rubble, South aisle and lower stair turret squared and coursed, slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. Plan: West tower, 4 bay nave, South aisle with South porch included, chancel and South chapel. 3 stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, single light louvred bell openings, 2-light Decorated West window, hexagonal stair turret on South side rising to second stage only with 4-centred arch doorway. Porch incorporated into crenellated South aisle, merlons pierced with quartrefoil heads, crocketed pinnacles and amusing collection of gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, crocketed niche containing C20 statue above arched entrance to porch, 3-light trefoil headed window lighting South aisle, 4 panel moulded compartment ceiling, 4 centred arch doorway, medieval door with contemporary iron work restored in C19, collection of bench ends in porch. Four 3-light Perpendicular windows South front with crenellated roof, stair turret with unglazed quatrefoil opening between third and fourth bays right, another 3-light window on return, 3-light C19 window to chancel, Norman lancet on North wall of chancel, rood loft stair projection in angle with nave, two 4-light windows North front with blocked 4-centred arch doorway. Interior: whitewashed. Nave moulded ribbed plastered wagon roof with bosses and wall plate, chancel C19 arch braced roof, South aisle C16 moulded compartment ceiling. Circular unmoulded tower arch, chancel set out of line with moulded arch to nave. Standard Perpendicular arcade with polygonal capitals. Corbelled support for statue on East wall of South aisle carved with defaced angel with scroll. Unidentified tomb-chest in arched niche in chancel, crocketed pinnacles and no effigy. Trefoil headed piscina opposite. 5 and a half bay C17 imported screen, restored C19. Very fine imported Jacobean pulpit with lectern, some C16 bench ends. Poor box dated 1634. C15 font. A fine South aisle with some of the most entertaining gargoyles in the county; good collection of fittings. (Photographs in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST0728337429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264774
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15638/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].