CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296311
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 20:13:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Exton
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 92584 33706

Details

SS93SW EXTON CP EXTON VILLAGE ViLLAGE 19/23 Church of St Peter 6.4.59

GV II* Parish church. Some Norman work in nave, C13 tower, C15 aisle, refenestrated early C16, church restored and chancel rebuilt 1876, tower restoration dated 1928. Random rubble local slate, tower and west end of aisle pebbledash, slate and asbestos slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave and north aisle, south porch chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, north-west buttress with date 1928, lancet bell opening, wooden louvred opening south face with lancet below, no west door; 3-light cinquefoil-headed mullioned windows, except in chancel, one on either side of single storey, gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arch openings, C19 door, flat bedded chequer board pattern slate floor, trefoil-headed statue niche above door, slate tablet inscribed to Ann Norris, died 1717 opposite; chancel, chamfered pointed arch priest's door, 2-light window right, 3-light east window, north aisle lit east end and 3 windows on north front, blocked central opening between large slate topped buttresses. Interior: rendered, quoins to window openings and tower arch exposed, standard Perpendicular 3-bay arcade, unmoulded chancel arch with chamfered jambs, pointed tower arch. C19 collar beam roof with struts in chancel, nave and aisle remains of earlier ceiled wagon roof, now open, new bosses in nave. Hagioscope in north aisle wall. Reredos of glass mosaic c 1890. Medieval tiles set along altar step. Pulpit of C18-C19 panelling reset. Perpendicular font. Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake dated 1886, south chancel window with portraits of the doners, one died 1867. Fine painted and gilded wooden panel to Rose Pearse, died 1712 and her husband Robert, died 1732, with painted cherubs, skulls and flowers; black and white wall tablet to Martha Williams died 1826, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9258433706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265436
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12823/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].