Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:15:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 34496 38520


SO 33 NW; 9/158

PETERCHURCH CP, B4348 (off west side), Peterchurch

Church of St Peter



Parish church. Mid-C12 with late C13/early C14 alterations, and restorations of 1869, 1879, 1906 and the early 1980's. Rubble with sandstone dressings, tiled roofs and fibre glass spire. Late C13 west tower; nave and chancel in two divisions with apse, mid-C12, north porch 1888.

West tower: late C13 with stone spire, reduced to a stump c1950 and replaced in early 1980's in fibre glass. Five stages, offset to top stage, plain parapet, battered plinth with string, stepped diagonal buttresses; belfry openings of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred heads, square-headed window in east wall of fourth stage below clock face; third stage: each wall has a single trefoiled light window; door in north wall of first stage with 2-centred head, single trefoiled light window to west; ground floor: south wall: narrow door with cinquefoil head, chamfered jambs, with relieving-arch above. Nave: south wall: Two-trefoiled-light window under 2-centred head to west end, late C13; to right mid-C12 south door, semicircular head, enriched by chevroned and billeted label; plain tympanum; engaged shafts with scalloped capitals; to east a C12 semicircular-headed window and two late C19 lancets. North wall: two C12 semicircular-headed windows flank stone north porch of 1888; north door: C14 with 2-centred head of two orders and label; two C12 semicircular-headed windows; C14 window to east of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head; to east of this two small restored C12 semicircular-headed windows, one above the other, lighting staircase, pilaster buttress to corner. Chancel: west division: late C13 2-trefoiled-light window with 2-centred head cut through C12 window to west, to east a C12 semi-circular-headed window, same in north and south walls; east division: restored cornice with roll moulding; one C12 semicircular-headed window in north wall reflected on south wall, with additionally a C13 lancet to west; apse: divided into three panels by pilaster buttresses, restored string with cable decoration below windows, roll to edge of cornice; one semicircular-headed C12 window to each panel.

INTERIOR: chancel: arch to apse semicircular of two plain orders with enriched chamfered imposts; arch between east and west divisions: semicircular of two orders on west face, enriched with chevron ornament, and enriched chamfered imposts; arch to nave: semicircular of two plain orders to west with enriched chamfered imposts. In north-west corner square-headed entrance to spiral staircase, which is probably C12 providing access to a presumed lost tower over the west division of the chancel. Nave: crude segmental headed opening to north-east corner from staircase, possibly providing access to lost rood. Late C13 tower door with 2-centred head of two chamfered orders; C13 first-floor door above with 2-centred head. Piscina in south wall of nave: cinquefoil head, quatrefoil drain, C14. Roofs: nave: late C19 coupled-rafter roof with collars, straight angle braces and ashlar pieces, central tie beam with crown post, collar purlin; chancel: west division: probably C17, restored late C19, two bays, tie-beam truss with collar and four queen struts; east division: similar to west division. Fittings: altar: stone slab with five consecration crosses, chamfered soffit, on C18/C19 pedestal. South door, planks nailed to battens, C12/C13 strap hinges with bifurcated terminals. Font: tub-shaped bowl, cable and chevron ornament to rim, cable to base, C12. There is a medieval stone coffin near the north porch (not included).

Listing NGR: SO3449238519


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 209-213


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09056/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Amanda Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].