CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1296677
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296677.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2020 at 14:57:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Rockbourne
National Grid Reference:
SU 11558 18319

Details

ROCKBOURNE MANOR FARM SU 1118 14/54 Church of St Andrew 30.9.64 GV I

Parish church. Early cruciform church, C13 south aisle added, in C15 chancel rebuilt, transept incorporated into aisle and chapel added, chancel restored early C19, restored 1893 by CF Ponting, porch added. Flint part rendered, stone dressings, tile-hung and weatherboarded bell tower, lead and plain tile roof. Plan of chancel, south-west chapel, nave has north transept and south aisle,with south-west bell turret, ground slopes steeply to west. Chancel has C19 Perp. windows. South chapel has cast C15 trefoiled 2-light window and C14 trefoiled 2-light round-headed window. South aisle has C15 squareheaded, and cinquefoiled windows. Ornate buttressed gabled porch. West and south-west restored C13 lancet. North transept has C14 windows, trefoiled, or rebated lancet, restored. Nave has C15 trefoiled 3-light windows. Between C13 cinquefoiled door. To west low down jambs of C12 doorway, behind steps, head destroyed by C13 window rebuilt C19 with blocked lower lights, 3-light. Gable walls. Buttresses to nave and aisle. Turret has square bell opening on each face, hipped roof. Flat roof behind parapet to aisle. Inside chancel on north walls monument: 1823 to General Sir Eyre Coote by W Theed, marble, general lying on deathbed, family beside, angel over. 1834 to Sir Eyre Coote by J Gibson, marble, angel comforting family. C15 4-centred arch to chapel. Similar chancel arch dying into walls. In north-east of nave C12 narrow round-headed arch with chartered impost to transept. East arch of arcade C15, other 3 C13 on octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Aisle windows have some medieval glass, and south door old on newer frame, beside stoup, at west 1678 royal arms board. At west of nave C15 octagonal font C19 base, where steps to west door were, entrance to roof loft beside. Furnishings C17 and C18 with C19 replicas. In chapel triptych C16 Dutch, and painting of General Eyre Coote, also C14 piscina. Roof of nave C16 restored wagon roof with moulded ribs, bosses and plates, chancel roof C19 similar, C15 aisle roof and old transept roof. VCH; vol 4; 1911; p584-6. Buildings of England; Pevsner; 1966; p476.

Listing NGR: SU1163218400

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144139
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01130/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].