CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296754
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, GREEN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296754.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:59:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, GREEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Croft and Yarpole
National Grid Reference:
SO 46986 64868

Details

YARPOLE CP GREEN LANE (north side) SO 46 SE 6/142 Church of St Leonard 11.6.59

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14, restored and extended 1864 by Sir G G Scott. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and tile roofs. C14 nave and south porch, C19 north aisle and chancel. Nave: south wall of four bays divided by stepped buttresses with angle buttresses to the corners. Two eastern bays have restored windows of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil in head, two-centred arch and labels with head stops. Bay to west of centre contains south porch, mostly rebuilt in C19, with a C14 window of one ogee trefoil light in each side wall. The south door has double chamfered jambs and a two-centred arch. The westernmost bay is blind. The west window is of three pointed lights under a two-centred head. North aisle: C19, with a C14 window reset in west wall. Four windows in north wall, each of three cinquefoiled lights under a square head. Chancel rebuilt in C19, of two bays with diagonal corner buttresses. South wall western window blocked by organ behind, eastern window of two trefoiled lights with tracery in head below a two-centred arch. The priests' door between the windows has a gabled porch, with a segmental pointed arch cinquefoil cusped. North wall contains two similar windows. East window of three trefoiled lights with tracery in head under two-centred arch. Interior: north arcade of nave of C19, four bays with two-centred arches of two sunk-chamfered orders, piers of four clustered columns with moulded capitals and bases. C14 chancel arch, two centred and of two chamfered orders, the responds with moulded capital and base. The restored label has head stops. Piscina in south wall of nave has a trefoiled head and broken round drain. Piscina reset in south wall of chancel has a moulded trefoil head and moulded gable above. Roof of nave of five bays with C15 crown post trusses, common rafter couples have collars with scissor-braces. Chancel roof of C19 in three bays. Arch- braced collar trusses with pierced tracery in spandrels. The wind-braces form quatrefoils. Fittings: the font probably C13 with octagonal bowl, the splayed lower part having segmental moulded arches, on a C19 stem and base. (RCHM, 3, p 215; BoE, p 327).

Listing NGR: SO4698664868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150165
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 215
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 327

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13708/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].