Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:53:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Malvern Hills (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 67309 65976



5/68 Church of All Saints



Parish church. C12, altered C13, restored 1866, with further alterations in 1904. Sandstone rubble and tufa with sandstone ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs with parapet at east end and shingled timber bell-turret. Nave with opposing doorways, south porch and bell-turret, and chancel. Norman and Early English styles. Nave: C12, extended westwards in C13; buttress with offsets at south-east end; C19 cusped lancet in west gable end; north elevation has a similar lancet at its eastern end, a small C13 lancet at its western end and between them is a narrow C13 doorway; the window arrangement of the south elevation is the same and it has two late C18 wall memorials to the Nash and Spilsbury families, an early C19 memorial to the Price family, a mid-C19 and another illegible memorial. South porch: 1904; gabled and timber-framed on chamfered sandstone ashlar base; moulded bargeboards and pendant finial, brattished tie-beam and double doors with a cambered head and side lights; side elevations have three panels of leaded glass; C13 doorway is of one chamfered order and above is a C12 panel carved with an Agnus Dei, probably removed from the original doorway. The bell-turret has a square base with square stone sundial, an octagonal splay-footed spire and cast iron weathervane. Chancel: C12; east end rebuilt C19 with diagonal corner buttresses, 3-light window and hood mould.with returns; north elevation has a C12 light and, to the west of it, a C19 brick lean-to addition with an east doorway at tall brick stack; south elevation has a C13 doorway. Interior: plastered throughout; plain semi-circular C12 chancel arch which springs from plain abaci the west faces of which are cut away possibly for a chancel screen; above the arch on the east side is a niche. In the south nave wall the former south doorway has been blocked to form a round-headed recess. Nave and chancel have ashlared arch-braced collar rafter roofs; two large lateral beams support the frame of the bell-turret. C19 aumbry in chancel. Late C16 panels and turned posts incorporated in priest's and bishop's chair and lectern. C12 circular font with C19 stem. C19 pulpit with three concave sides carved in one piece with diaper panels. Memorials: chancel has a large sarcophagus relief by J Stephens to James Wakeman Newport Charlett, died 1838; also two early C18 memorials to the Newport family and a small late C18 memorial; early C19 memorial at south-east end of nave. Glass: east window probably by Hardman. (VCH 4, p 278; BoE, p 189).

Listing NGR: SO6730965976


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 278
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 189


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08134/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Katharine D. Butterworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].