Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE VYNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296972.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 19:52:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Sherborne St. John
National Grid Reference:
SU 63627 56816


SU 65 NW SHERBORNE ST JOHN VYNE PARK 5/82 26.4.57 The Vyne


1500 to 1520, mid C17, C18, C19. The original house for Lord Sandys substantially remains as a 2-storeyed U-shaped structure, with 3-storeyed towers at the external corners, and a chapel (1518-27) attached at the east side. The north front was a symmetrical design of windows, with the added chapel (4 windows) ending in a half-octagon; the centre 3 bays were altered by the addition of a full-height portico. Red brick walling in English bond, with diaper patterns, stone weathered bands, plinth, crenellated parapet. The windows have C17 moulded stone frames, with C18 sashes within; those of the chapel have the original mullioned and transomed stone frames, the taller beneath 4 central arches and hood-moulds. The centre 3 bays were altered about 1654, with the provision of a classical portico (said to be the earliest, and by John Webb) with a pedimented wooden entablature, brick cheeks with wide tall openings, stucco columns (2 circular within square corner columns), carved stone Corinthian caps; the interior is also stuccoed, with an upper window (and small balustrade) above the doorway, both with architraves. The south front has flanking wings which end as gables containing 2-storeyed (C18) bays, there is a projecting wing of one bay in each angle (together with a stack) and a projecting centrepiece with a C19 2-storeyed porch, of windows. The walling is the same, with a plain parapet. Stone classical doorcases occur in the end blocks (facing inwards) and in the centre, and between them is a shallow paved court bounded by a balustrade. On the east side are basement windows of the original structure. The house is notable for its interiors, which include a first-floor gallery lined with linen-fold wainscot, panelled rooms, an original interior to the chapel with panelling and stained glass, and a classical staircase hall of about 1780, having Doric and Corinthian Orders and coffered ceilings. Note: there is an extensive bibliography about the Vyne, which now belongs to the National Trust.

Listing NGR: SU6271556115


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14711/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Cordy-Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].