- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- HYMERS COLLEGE, HYMERS AVENUE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297003.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:09:11.
- Statutory Address:
- HYMERS COLLEGE, HYMERS AVENUE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 07901 29383
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA02NE HYMERS AVENUE 680-1/8/208 (North West side) 12/11/73 Hymers College (Formerly Listed as: HYMERS AVENUE Hymers College (Main Building))
School. 1889-93, with additions in matching style 1897, 1907, 1932, and adjoining Memorial Hall 1923. By Botterill, Son & Bilson. Brick with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs with 4 side wall stacks. Jacobean Revival style. Plinth, string courses, lintel and sill bands, shouldered coped gables with flanking piers and finials, polychrome bands. Windows have stone mullions and surrounds. Main block 2 storeys plus attics; 13-window range, arranged 3:7:3. Symmetrical front with hall flanked by projecting gabled wings, the ground floor brought forward in line with them. Central hall has first floor with buttresses topped with pinnacles, and 7 Perpendicular style triple lancets with double transoms. Above, 4 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. Above again, square clock turret topped with a gallery and a round cupola with an ogee lead dome and cross finial. Ground floor has shallow buttresses and coped parapet, and polychrome porch with segmental broken pediment, coat of arms and lintel with Latin inscription. Round arched entrance with keystone and strapwork panelled double doors with glazing bar overlight. On either side, 3 cross mullioned 3-light windows. Wings have a jettied first floor with a triple lancet flanked by double lancets, and below, a 3-light mullioned window with glazing bars. Symmetrical rear elevation has a projecting central gable with 2 tall double lancets. On either side, 2 tall gabled through-eaves dormers with triple lancets, interspersed with 4 cross casements of various sizes. Below, two 2-light windows in the central gable flanked by six 2 and 3-light double mullioned windows. North end has 2-storey corridor with string courses and coped parapet, and two 3-light cross mullioned windows. Below, 2 similar windows, 3 and 2 lights, and a segment-arched carriage opening with keystone. South end has a central through-eaves dormer with a triple lancet, flanked by single 3-light windows. Below, three 2-light windows. To left, a projecting jettied gable with 2 double-mullioned 2-light windows and below, 2 similar windows. To right, a square canted 2-storey projection with parapet and a 3-light mullioned window above the corridor to the Memorial Hall. Parapeted single-storey corridor has to left a round-arched opening and to right, 3 triple lancets. Memorial Hall, in similar style to main building, has buttressed south front and coped parapet. South front has 5 flat-headed triple lancets, the central one shorter. Central square porch with Tudor arched doorway. West gable, to left, has a triple lancet flanked by double lancets, all with elliptical arches and double transoms. Rear has a single-storey hipped projection with porch. Northern block, 1897, 2 storeys; 6 window range. 3-light cross casement flanked by through-eaves dormers with triple lancets with double transoms. To left, a 3-light cross casement, and to right, 2 similar windows. Below, 6 three-light cross casements with double transoms. 1907 addition, to east, 2 storeys; 8-window range, has paired wooden glazing bar sashes and below, 8 wooden glazing bar cross casements, one altered and one blocked. 1932 addition, to north-east, 2 storeys; 14-window range, has to left a projecting gable and regular fenestration with cross casements. Below, off-centre pedimented doorcase. Main block has central full height open hall with arch-braced king post roof with wind braces and traceried spandrels. On the east side, a 2-storey arcade, 7 bays, with hexagonal ashlar piers with shafts and elliptical arches with fleurons. Balustraded wooden gallery through the arcade, returned across each end of the hall. At each end, square 9-pane windows and doors with similar overlights on each floor. Under the arcade, a central moulded elliptical arch to the stairs. Opposite, a similar arch with glazed double doors. On either side, various segment-headed doors and windows. Corridor to Memorial Hall has moulded wooden wall panelling and cross beam ceiling with enriched panels. Pedimented wooden war memorial panel flanked by Corinthian columns, with side panels flanked by Corinthian pilasters and 5 bronze tablets and coat of arms. Memorial Hall has arch-braced king post roof with wall shafts and traceried panels. Wooden panelling to three-quarter height and panelled double doors with cornices on the long sides. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 288).
Listing NGR: TA0790129383
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 288
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249771
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/35490
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing