CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1297039
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297039.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:23:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 14352 29497

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA12NW CHURCH LANE, Marfleet 680-1/9/435 (East side) Church of St Giles

GV II

Parish church. 1884. By JT Webster. Rockfaced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Early English style. Chamfered plinth, sill band and eaves, coped gables, the eastern ones with crosses. Buttressed throughout. Nave, chancel, vestry. Chancel, 3 bays, has to east a triple lancet with plate tracery and hoodmould. To south, 3 cusped single lancets. North side has attached gabled vestry with a side wall stack, doorway to east and triple lancet to north. Nave has on either side 3 double lancets with quatrefoil heads. West end has a projecting central bay with double chamfered cusped doorway with hoodmould and mask stops, and above it, a double lancet with quatrefoil head, hoodmould and imposts. Above again, a cross gabled single bell turret topped with a cross. On either side, a single lancet. INTERIOR; chancel has a double rebated moulded arch with imposts and matchboarded waggon roof. East end has traceried wooden panelling and reredos dated 1921 and 1930, and stained-glass window by Kempe, 1905. To north, a chamfered pointed doorway and to south, 3 windows. Nave has matchboarded waggon roof, and at the west end, a corniced wooden porch. Windows have no stained glass. Fittings include octagonal ashlar font dated 1864, benches with shaped ends, C19, and stalls c1920. Decorated style traceried octagonal oak pulpit, desks and buttressed lectern, mid C20. Memorials include marble tablet with urn and crest, 1831, another with obelisk and draped urn, 1836, a larger memorial with obelisk, crest, urn and figure, 1854, all signed by J Earle. 5 similar marble tablets, early and mid C19. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 279).

Listing NGR: TA1435229497

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387493
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 279

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04215/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].