Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 13:54:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Brentwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 57130 93869



TQ5793 WEALD ROAD, South Weald 723-1/16/289 (North side) 21/10/58 Church of St Peter


Church. C12, C13, late C15, heavily restored with new nave and chancel by SS Teulon in 1868. Tower, Kentish ragstone, church, flint, indurated conglomerate, erratics and limestone fragments, oolitic limestone dressings. Peg-tiled roof. Nave and chancel on site of former C13 N aisle, no structural division, organ chamber to N. S aisle and S chapel, former C13 nave and chancel with later C15 tower at W end. EXTERIOR: S elevation, to W, ragstone tower with angle butresses, 3 stages, lowest blank except for bell moulding to plinth. Middle stage C19 window, 2-centred arch with 2 lights - in front, C19 clock under heavy gabled hood with angels. Top stage with crenellated parapets and cornice with gargoyle spouts, belfry opening with louvres and super-mullioned tracery. Crenellated stair tower rising above parapet at junction with nave. Nave walling rebuilt in C19, 2 prominent stone bands with 3 principal registers and plinth, flint and cobble walling. Lowest register has considerable amount of indurated conglomerate in contrived random scatter. Upper register has a conspicuous pattern of imitation putlog holes framed by limestone slabs infilled with knapped flint. Windows all C19, 2-centred, containing paired lancets and with quatrefoiled circle tracery, head stopped labels. Nave, W-E window, C12 doorway, partly restored, column shafts and arch with zigzag decoration, volute capitals, tympanum diapered with segmental soffit arch of half roll with 3 transverse roll segments. C19 door, boarded with imitation C12 `C' hinges. C19 timber porch in medieval form, central arch, side openings with quatrefoil and trefoil decoration, open gable with king post in collar, paired curved braces each side: 4 windows in buttressed bays, C19 roundel with St Peter's hand holding 2 keys (old and new church?). Chancel, as aisle, single window in perpendicular style, 2 lights with super-mullions and head stopped labels. N elevation, W-E, tower, as on S elevation but no clock, nave - C15 style window, upper tracery of super-mullions, original and re-set. Church hall of 1981 attached and entered through N doorway, 3 windows in perpendicular style, each 3 lights, buttresses between, walling in same style as on S elevation, organ chamber with similar walling, hipped roof, doorway with 2-centred head on W side. C19 boarded door with ironwork. Chancel with perpendicular styled window - 2 lights with super-mullions, head stops to label. E end elevation - gable ends of chancel and S aisle, organ chamber to N, walling as on S elevation but putlog decoration in each register. Nave gable has 5-light perpendicular style window, cinquefoiled roundel above. Aisle gable, 3-light window in geometrical style, oculus and 2 small round-headed apertures above. Organ chamber with one 2-light perpendicular styled window and one 5-light with hood mould, each light 4-centred. W elevation, tower as S elevation but with west doorway partly restored with moulded and shafted jambs and moulded 4-centred arch with traceried spandrel in a square head with moulded label, door C19, boarded, with iron work, above, 4-light perpendicular style window with super-mullions, middle and top stages as S elevation - window and belfry opening witn crenellated parapet: to N gable end of nave, walling as on E elavation with putlog holes in each register, 4-light perpendicular style window, roundel with quatrefoil above. INTERIOR: 6 bay original C13 arcade between nave and aisle, capitals and bases restored, drums round except 2 which are octagonal. C19 hood mould with naturalistic leaf stops. Roof of nave and chancel of soft-wood, side purlins with deep arched braces, king struts and curved braces on collars, traceried spandrels. Choir has 3 tiers of decorated wind-bracing and stone corbels of angels playing musical instruments. Truss at nave-chancel junction enriched with pierced cusping. Aisle, side purlin roof with curved bracing to each truss to create a waggon roof, king struts to each collar. E end also boarded. Choir has alabaster reredos depicting the entombment, alabaster screen walls. Iron chancel rails by GG Scott. Aisle chapel, oak screen, decorated style. Tower arch perpendicular, 2-centred with moulded responds. W window C19 stained glass with 2 C15 panels, probably Flemish, Abraham and Isaac and King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, door to tower stair c1500, boarded with moulded battens and nail studding that goes through rear cross boarding and swaged over lozenge shaped washers. Font dated 1662, polygonal with acanthus leaves round pedestal. Re-sited brasses at rear of nave, several fragments from C15 to C17. Floor slab in tower, 1663, to Henry Wright, Bart.. Further slabs of C17 and C18 now as a path in churchyard S of aisle. Standing wall monument in aisle chapel, 1757, Hugh Smith, sarcophagus and grey obelisk with large roundel having 2 profiles, facing one another. The curious decoration used by Teulon on the C19 church walls, consisting of indurated conglomerate and putlog holes is no doubt derived from the original Norman church walls in which courses of conglomerate commonly occur in Essex, e.g. Ingatestone, and, in which putlog holes were often left, e.g. Great Canfield. Teulon has used them as major decorative elements.

Listing NGR: TQ5713093869


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15888/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Pepper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].