This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1297383



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386773

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY3955 JUNCTION STREET 671-1/9/185 (North side) 01/06/49 Shaddon Mill


Cotton factory, now industrial units. 1835-6 for Peter Dixon by Richard Tattersall. Squared blocks of red sandstone on chamfered plinth with ashlar quoins; ashlar eaves band and solid parapet. Roof, not visible from ground, is of slate with skylights; detached chimney is listed separately. Large 7-storey, 22-bay factory with 5-bay returns; lower-left single-bay return engine house and 2-storey, 7-bay boiler house; built with fireproof floors. Junction Street facade; at each end bays project slightly for full height. Regularly-spaced casement windows which are C20, in original stone surround with hood cornices. The right return has projecting central 3 bays; the last bay on the right is for loading and has enlarged loading doorways (probably original). The left return has many blind windows. Engine house has large casement window with glazing bars in stone architrave and dentilled cornice. Boiler house has casement windows similar to the main factory. Rear of boiler house has plank doors under Diocletian windows, some with original radial glazing bars. INTERIOR of factory has off-centre stone stair around lift shaft (could be a later insertion). Cast-iron pillars support girders and brick vaulted ceilings; floor tiles are stamped R. ASHTON & CO, BUCKLEY (Flintshire). Carlisle Journal (1835) records the laying of the foundations. The boilers were installed in April and May 1836, Carlisle Journal (1836). For illustration see Pevsner (1967); however, he incorrectly gives Robert Tattersall as the architect.

Listing NGR: NY3951455628

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, (1967)

National Grid Reference: NY 39514 55628


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 03:42:35.

End of official listing