WHITTINGTON STONE, CIRCA 15 METRES SOUTH OF THE JUNCTION WITH MAGDALA AVENUE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1298038
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
WHITTINGTON STONE, CIRCA 15 METRES SOUTH OF THE JUNCTION WITH MAGDALA AVENUE, HIGHGATE HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298038.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:56:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITTINGTON STONE, CIRCA 15 METRES SOUTH OF THE JUNCTION WITH MAGDALA AVENUE, HIGHGATE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29229 86940

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/08/2014

TQ2986NW 635-1/12/501

ISLINGTON, HIGHGATE HILL (South West side), Whittington Stone, c.15 metres south of the junction with Magdala Avenue

(Formerly Listed as: HIGHGATE HILL, Whittington Stone (on north west corner of Salisbury Road and Highgate Hill))

29/09/72

II

Memorial stone. Erected 1821, restored 1935, cat sculpture added 1964. Segmental-headed slab of Portland stone on a plinth, the inscription to the south-west side now almost completely eroded, that to the north-east detailing the career of the medieval merchant and City dignitary Sir Richard Whittington (c.1354–1423), including his three terms as Lord Mayor of London. Atop the slab is a sculpture of a cat by Jonathan Kenworthy, in polished black Kellymount limestone. Iron railings, oval in plan, with spearhead finials and overthrow, surround the stone. The memorial marks the legendary site where 'Dick Whittington' Sir Richard's folkloric alter ego, returning home discouraged after a disastrous attempt to make his fortune in the City, heard the bells of St Mary le Bow ring out, 'Turn again Whittington, thrice Lord Mayor of London.'

Listing NGR: TQ2922986940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369012
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16323/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].