Pillar Box on Aberdeen Park by junction with Highbury Grove

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1298138
Date first listed:
03-May-1978
Statutory Address:
Aberdeen Park, London, N5 2AL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Pillar Box on Aberdeen Park by junction with Highbury Grove
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:25:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Aberdeen Park, London, N5 2AL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31965 85330

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 01/06/2018

TQ3185SE 635-1/38/3

ISLINGTON ABERDEEN PARK (North side) Pillar box by junction with Highbury Grove 03/05/78

II

Pillar box. 1866-76, to the design of JW Penfold. Cast iron. Hexagonal pillar box on a high plinth with a ball cornice and raised ogee top with leaf pattern; crowning finial missing.

In 1913 the pillar box was damaged by militant suffragettes from the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the group founded by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903 which used direct actions in its campaign for votes for women. In November 1911 Emily Wilding Davison became the first suffragette to attempt to set fire to a pillar box, and over the next three years suffragettes attacked pillar boxes throughout Britain using paraffin-soaked rags, corrosive liquids, ink and incendiary bombs, in order to destroy the mail inside. Attacks were often carried out at night and the perpetrators were rarely caught. On 30 January 1913 a postman discovered this box in flames; most of the contents were destroyed.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.



Listing NGR: TQ3196585330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
368489
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02801/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].