MUSIC ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1298332
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
MUSIC ROOM, SUN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MUSIC ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298332 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 00:58:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
MUSIC ROOM, SUN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47523 61763

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE SUN STREET 1685-1/7/308 (West side) 22/12/53 Music Room

GV II*

Garden pavilion, now shop and flat. c1730, extensively restored in the early 1970s after falling into dereliction. Sandstone ashlar with rubble to sides and rear and with a slate roof behind a parapet. The facade is tall and narrow, of 3 storeys and 3 bays with a wider central bay. The 2 lower storeys have fluted pilasters, Ionic on the ground floor and Corinthian on the 1st floor, carrying entablatures. The attic storey has panelled pilasters, and a cornice below a balustrade. The central first floor glazing bar sash has a moulded surround with a swan-necked pediment supported on brackets and with a central urn, on either side are similar sashes in plain surrounds. Above three 9-pane smaller sashes, the central one with a moulded surround. On the ground floor the outer bays have doorways with architraves. Above each is a round-headed window with moulded imposts. The wide central round-arched opening is now glazed and has moulded imposts, a mask keystone, and scrollwork spandrel decoration. INTERIOR: the principal room, on the first floor, has very richly decorated plasterwork walls and ceiling of c1730. Above the fireplace is the god Apollo with his lyre. To each side are plaster panels with central medallion heads depicting the Muses, a motif which is repeated on the other walls. Above a heavy cornice the ceiling has Ceres surrounded by garlands of fruit and flowers and medallions bearing portraits of Roman emperors. HISTORY: probably built by Oliver Marton Senior in the garden of No.76 Church Street (qv) at some time after his purchase of the house in 1723 and before his death in 1744. The plasterwork has been attributed to Francesco Vassalli because of the similarity of the medallion heads to ones he is known to have executed at Towneley Hall in 1729-30. Restored and converted by the Landmark Trust. (Beard G: Decorative Plasterwork in Great Britain: London: 1975-: 57).

Listing NGR: SD4752361763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383341
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beard, G, Decorative Plasterwork in Great Britain, (1957), 57

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05296/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].