Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:50:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47537 61875



SD4761NE CHURCH STREET 1685-1/7/88 (North side) 22/12/53 Nos.78 AND 80 (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET No.78) (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET No.80)


House, now offices. Built in 1775 for Dr Daniel Wilson, but divided into 2 houses in the mid C19 and altered. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar dressings, on the front and back, with coursed rubble on the left-hand gable. Slate roof with chimney stacks on the gables and on the ridge above the cross walls. 3 storeys above a cellar, which is at ground level at the rear, and 5 bays with a projecting bow in the centre; this contains 3 windows on the upper floors and, on the ground floor, 2 windows and a doorway - all are curved on plan. Above the first-floor windows runs a modillion cornice. The windows below this have moulded sills and architraves, while those above it have plain reveals. All the windows are sashed without glazing bars. The doorway has engaged Doric columns supporting a triglyph frieze and pediment, all curved on plan. The mahogany door has 6 raised and fielded panels beneath a fanlight. The area to the right of the doorway has plain cast-iron railings, perhaps original. On either side of the facade is a slightly-recessed one-bay wall, of one storey on the left, but 2 storeys backed by rooms on the right, which contains a doorway with a moulded architrave under a pediment; as the one to the left still does, these doorways originally led to the garden, but the one on the right is now the entrance to No.78. At the rear the windows have raised plain surrounds, and most have 12-pane sashes. In the central bay there are a triple window to the cellar, a Venetian window on the ground and first floors, and a Diocletian window on the second floor. INTERIOR: in No.80 the large hall, into which one rises up steps within the projecting bow, has pedimented doorcases, a modillion cornice, and a delicate Adam-style ceiling with circular patterns; other rooms have more ornate ceilings dating from mid C19, when the generously proportioned quarter-turn staircase was inserted. No.78 has several original doorcases, but mostly C19 ceilings, less ornate than those in No.80. The top flights of the staircase appear to be those of the original back stair, with turned newels, a closed string, stick balusters, and a ramped mahogany handrail. HISTORY: during the excavations for the cellar in 1775 a number of Roman coins and pottery fragments were discovered (see Clark, pp 76-77). No.78 listed on 18.2.70. (Clark C: An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Town of Lancaster: Lancaster: 1807-: 76-77).

Listing NGR: SD4753761875


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Clark, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Town of Lancaster, (1807), 76-77


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/03216/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].