CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1298645
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, NEW CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298645.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 08:14:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, NEW CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26590 05250

Details

HOVE

TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington 579-1/3/151 (North side) 24/03/50 Church of St Leonard

II

Parish church. 1878 nave (now south aisle) and tower on site of former medieval church, 1936 nave, chancel and spire. Architect of C19 work Richard Herbert Carpenter, C20 work by H.Milburn Pett. Dressed knapped flint, squared and coursed, stone dressings and quoins, north wall of brick, clay tile roof, coped verges, broached spire with wooden shingles. Plan: 6-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower, chancel, north-east brick addition, south-east vestry and south porch (no longer used), entrance now via west end of nave. Low, setback buttresses to 2-stage tower, 2-light louvred bell-openings, 3 lancet windows either side of timber-framed south porch with ornate bargeboards. Date stone in plinth of chancel inscribed "This stone was laid with full masonic --- by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons of Sussex, Major R.Lawrence Thornton CBE on the day of the 6 June 1936". Interior: rendered. Chancel: arch braced scissor truss roof, nave and south aisle with boarded and ceiled barrel vault roofs. Arcade of chamfered piers, pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders. Stained glass: East window dated 1948. Chancel with fine display of Minton floor tiles; sedilia and piscina. Replica medieval font. The C13 parish church was described as ruinous in 1638 and between the mid C18 and early C19 the parish of Aldrington was deserted. If anything of the medieval church remained in the 1870s, it did not survive the rebuilding. The North aisle planned in 1936 was not built. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Listing NGR: TQ2659005250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365598
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dale, A , Brighton Churches, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14489/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jonathan Brooks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].