This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1298653



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365656

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2904SE WATERLOO STREET 579-1/23/134 (East side) 24/03/50 Church of St Andrew including walls, railings and gates


Church. 1827-8, enlarged with addition of chancel 1882, partly refitted 1925. Architect Sir Charles Barry, enlarged by his son Edward Middleton Barry, later embellishments by W.H.Randoll Blacking. Italianate style. Ashlar-faced west end, otherwise exposed brick, roof covering concealed behind parapet. Plan: originally rectangular space with west gallery, enlarged with domed crossing, transepts, apsidal chancel and domed south-east chapel, north-east vestry, both top lit in Italianate style. West front unlit, rusticated facade with Corinthian pilaster quoins and paired pilasters carrying plain entablature with moulded cornice flanking central round-headed opening, blind niches in outer bays. The paired pilasters break forward slightly carrying the plinth of the single stage bell turret in the form of a rusticated tempietto, fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying modillion moulded cornice, 2-light round-headed bell openings, scalloped lead roof. Clock face below, bell openings on 3 sides, ventilation grill below plinth. To the left is a pilaster doorcase with entablature giving access to the crypt. Main entrance: recessed porch, doorway on left and right returns, central 3-light opening with pierced metal grill. Tessellated pavement. Handsome cast-iron double gates to entrance; cast-iron railings set in dwarf wall with moulded coping, returned from entrance along street frontage with double gates to the crypt. Interior: rendered. Coved ceiling, pilaster bands and cornice. Crossing dome painted blue with columns. Similar structure with Corinthian columns covering white marble font with Greek Revival-style cover at west end of church below gallery; all part of the 1925 refitting, as are the bronze altar rails. Pulpit with sounding board donated 1918. Late C19 brass lectern. Handsome wooden organ case in Wrenaissance style 1889 in north transept. Late C19 pews with glass screen backs to the most westerly row. Stained glass including lunette in apse and 2 windows in south transept; much of the glass was removed during the 1920s to lighten the church. To this end all but 4 of the wall tablets were resited in the narthex; Lord Charles Somerset died 1831 and Sir George Dallas, died 1833 (by Ternouth) remain. The toplit narthex includes the stone stair to the gallery as well as an interesting collection of white marble monuments on the walls. The crypt below the church is said to contain many coffins. Built to serve the inhabitants of Brunswick Square (qv), the church was patronised by members of the Royal family and aristocracy in the early C19. The church is notable as the first example of the use of the Italianate style in England. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-; Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-; National Monuments Record: Photograph).

Listing NGR: TQ2988804297

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29921 04282


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 12:01:56.

End of official listing