CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1298821

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, GREAT BARROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 09:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, GREAT BARROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barrow

National Grid Reference: SJ 46952 68338

Details

SJ 46 NE BARROW C P THE VILLAGE Great Barrow

4/4 Church of St.Bartholomew

1/6/1967 GV II*

Church: some late Medieval work in north aisle, chancel dated 1671 for Dean Bridgeman, tower dated 1744 and remainder dated 1883 by John Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof. 4-bay nave and north aisle, south porch, 3-bay chancel and a 4-stage tower. Nave has 2 and 4-light rectangular windows, with 2 levels of round-headed lights, under label mounds. Gabled porch has a 4-centred arched entrance with cusped ogee headed light above. Romanesque style doorway behind. Chancel has a single and triple round-headed window and a blocked, moulded 4-centred arched priest's doorway with a plaque above reading "THIS CHANCEL WAS BUILT BY D HENRY BRIDGEMAN LORD BISHOP OF MAN DEAN OF CHESTER AND RECTOR OF BARROW 1671". Pointed arched, 4-light transomed east window. Classical style tower has bands at each stage and semi-circular heads to surrounds with raised quoining, of the west door, mullioned west window, and louvred bell openings. There is a clock in the third stage and a moulded cornice carries a ramped parapet, formerly with large gadrooned urn finials now collected at the base of the tower. 2 good lead rainheads to the rear dated 1744 and on the south side a large circular light with raised keyblocks. Interior: 4-bay arcade of depressed 4-centred arches on octagonal piers. Chancel has a hammer beam truss with the Bridgeman arms on the bosses. Boards record restoration of the chancel roof in 1807 by Hugh Cholmondely and rebuilding of 1883. East window and east window of the north aisle by Kempe. Octagonal font on octagonal shaft has lead bowl dated 1713.

Listing NGR: SJ4695268338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55450

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing