This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1298879



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 363371

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 23 NE 3/49 5403

Ifield, LANGLEY LANE, Friends' Meeting House



Dated 1676 and built as the bequest of Robert Robinson the local blacksmith (No 5 Langley Lane q.v.). Built of Sussex stone, squared and tooled and thought to have been brought from Slaugham Place. Roof of Horsham stone slates. The main front facing the lane has 2 wide gables with half hips and a central doorway with rusticated quoins and lintel bearing the date 1676 on its keystone. Two large windows are on each side of the entrance, divided into 6 lights by 2 wood mullioned and transomed leaded panes. Two smaller windows above, are under each gable hip. On the right hand quoins of the entrance doorway the following dates and initials are cut: 16 HE 84, 16 AH 78, 16 IK 76, probably recording the admissions of new members. North front similar to south but doorway not central and only one large window. The interior has C18 benches and panelling of untreated pine. The building has associations with William Penn, who lived at nearby Warminghurst before he left for America; and with George Fox and Elizabeth Fry. Burial ground in enclosure to east. For early history of the Ifield Meeting see S A C XVI pages 70-71. This is one of the earliest purpose-built meeting houses still existing.

Listing NGR: TQ2524637898

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, , Vol. 16, (), 70-71

National Grid Reference: TQ 25243 37911


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 02:34:31.

End of official listing