Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299429.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:15:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19009 43703


ESH ESH LAUDE NZ 14 SE 10/3 Church of 18/8/76 St. Michael


Roman Catholic parish church. 1789-90, with additions of apse c.1850, and south aisle and north porch c.1910. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and quoins; roof of Lakeland slates with stone gable copings and kneelers.

Nave with north porch and south aisle; 5-sided apse. In porch, double boarded doors and radial fanlight in round-headed surround with imposts and keystone, under low-pitched gable with statue of St. Michael in niche, and large square bellcote with arched sides and cross finial. Round-headed windows in bay to west of porch, paired and one larger single light; 2-light windows with cusped tracery, in 2 bays to east of porch. South aisle has groups of stepped lights, the central pair of even height, in 4 buttressed bays. One 2-light south sanctuary window; taller 2-light windows in apse under gables with fleur-de-lys finials; sill string to apse. West front has 3 round-headed lights, the central at higher level. Roof: gablets on east kneelers; half-octagonal lower apse roof; roll-moulded parapet on aisle and roof not visible.

Interior: painted plaster over boarded dado, with ashlar dressings; arch- braced panelled roof on coved cornice with wood-corbelled brackets. Arcade has wide chamfered 2-centred arches on hexagonal piers, and narrower fifth arch to Lady chapel at east. High double-chamfered sanctuary arch without capitals; thick-ribbed vaulting in apse with many mouldings and elaborate bosses on shafts with chamfered plinths. Glass in east window by Atkinson Bros., Newcastle; flanking windows in style of Hardman; other C19 glass in west window and Lady chapel. Altar in richly painted patterns in style of mosaic, in memory of Cardinal Wiseman, with low-relief roundels. Early C20 west organ gallery. Gothic-style carved wood balcony in north wall gives on to room in presbytery. Memorials include plain marble slab to Rev. John Yates - pastor of the congregation for 33 years - died 1827; and to Mary Consit, wife of Lt. Com. R.N., who died at Sorel, Lower Canada in 1824,by Fisher of York.

Presbytery attached altered and not of interest.

Listing NGR: NZ1900943703


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15008/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].