CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CANTERBURY ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299528.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:21:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CANTERBURY ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Ashford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 06204 50451
TR 05 SE GODMERSHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
4/40 Church of St. Lawrence 27.ll.57 GV I
Parish church. C11 tower, C12 nave and chancel, chancel extended C13. Some C14 and C15 windows and fittings, south transept, south aisle, south porch and general restoration by William Butterfield, 1864-6. Flint and rubble, part plastered, with ashlar and rough dressed quoins and dressings, and plain tile roofs. Nave, south aisle and transept, chancel, north tower and south porch. West front: nave and south aisle, south aisle with coursed flint and ashlar quoins and bands. Gabled roof with C19 wrought iron gable cross. West door blocked, arch of single order with dogtooth ornament, tympanum of (re-used?) diapered and dog-toothed blocks. West window C19 curvilinear style with drip mould, south west window C19 paired lancets. South porch: 1 storey, timber framed on flint plinth. The gable end is open to expose the framing, with wrought iron gable cross. Inside a C19 doubel plank door with large iron hinges. South aisle: with 2 ashlar bands and 3 lancet windows. South transept: single ashlar band, ashlar quoins, 2 offset buttresses, with triple lancet south window, and single lancet on east wall. South east chapel (the organ chamber): ashlared quoins, and covered by catslide extension from chancel roof, with paired lancet window, and trefoiled wall niche, to Mary Agues Bolton, d. 1928. Chancel: south wall with exposed quoins of Normal chancel half way along its length, 2 C19 lancet windows, and 2 trefoiled wall niches, to children of Alfred and Mary Lyall, d. 1844, and Lucy Verena Holland, d. 1866. East wall part rendered in plaster painted as flint, with 2 dragonal offset buttresses in brick and flint, and C13 triple lancet east window. Between and forward of the 2 buttresses is a mid C19 cast iron railing on stone plinth, encircling an unmarked horizontal grave slab. North wall, with exposed quoins of Normal nave, single lancet to east. C14. Decorated window of 2 lights with sexfoil in head to west, and central blocked C15 doorway, 4 centred arch, double hollow chamfer and drip mould. Trefoiled niche on north-east buttress to Sackree. Tower: 3 stage tower of flint with rough-dressed quoins and eastern semi-circular apse with tiled roof and 2 C19 windows to east, with single light in tower second stage, and large belfry opening over. North wall with single lights to first and second stages and large belfry opening, and C19 board door in original semi-circular arched opening. West wall with single light to each stage, and projecting chimney/garderobe corbelled out to right. Nave north wall: to east. C15. 3 light window hollow chamfered surround and 4 centred drip mould. West, a single round-headed window, C19. Interior: 4 bay nave with C19 arcade to south aisle and south transept, 3 square-section piers and one round pier with plain chamfered arches. Roof of plastered barrel-trusses and 3 crown posts, the trusses higher and exposed to the east, to accentuate transept/crossing. The tower intrudes in the east end of the nave with a hollow chamfered doorway and plank door to the tower, and blocked doorway to rood loft. South aisle has masonry screen to transepts with 2 lancets and trefoil over, and square-headed and shouldered arch to nave pier. South transept with barrel truss roof, and chamfered arch through to south east chapel (nor organ room). Chancel,with hollow chamfered reveal to mullion and transomed 4 light and traceried C15 Perpendicular opening to south-east organ room. Attached shafts in chamfered surround of easter triple lancet window. Barrel-truss roof, plastered, with exposed lattice-framing at east end. Fittings: in chancel, cusped piscina and trefoiled sedile. Vestigial remains of C19 reredos on chancel east wall. Full height wood chancel screen, by Butterfield, 3 open bays. Solid, spandrel painted with crucifixion, with 2 central gates with open wrought iron tracery. Octagonal font also by Butterfield date.C12 stone relief of Archbishop Becket on chancel south wall, under canopy with colonettes. Monuments: south aisle. Thomas Knight, d. 1794 signed Shout, Holborn, London,wall plaque. A broken Ionic pillar on plinth over sarcophagus with claw feet, and west of this another by Shout to Harriet Knatchbull d. 1791, a white tablet wall plaque with pillars. Over this a foliated and scrolled cartouche wall plaque to Thomas Carter d. 1707, with cherubs either side and blowing trumpets over. On the north wall a similar draped cartouche with garlands of fruit and flowers and cherubs supporting a shield, to John Christmas, d. 1712. West of it a wall plaque to Edward Knight d. 1852. Jane Austen's brother, by S. Manning. Angled sarcophagus, draped, with obelisk over. To east, a black plaque in white marble surround, chamfered and lugged, with scrolled pediment and achievement over, to Richard Munn, M.A. Vicar of Godmersham, d. 1682. Glass in south west and east window, by Gibbs, 1866-7, those to west in memory of Edward Knight and wife Elizabeth.
Listing NGR: TR0665250705
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing