CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1299831
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SHUTFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 17:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SHUTFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Wroxton
National Grid Reference:
SP 38997 41733

Details

WROXTON SHUTFORD ROAD SP3840, SP3941 (East side) Balscote 8/252, 9/252 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 08/12/55 GV II* Small church. C14 with C19 repairs between 1800-1823 and 1849-50. Extensive restoration in 1873. Further repairs to the roof, nave and tower in the 1920s. Coursed, squared ironstone. Chancel has stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses, stone coped gables and stone lateral stack on north. Chancel, nave with south aisle and narrow south tower. 5-window range. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Chancel has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, a 2-light Perpendicular window on north and a 3-light Perpendicular window on south. Nave has 2- and 4-light Perpendicular windows on north flanking a pointed arched doorway with plank door and dripmould. Two entrances on south including pointed arched doorway in south tower and priest's doorway to chancel. South aisle has 2-light Perpendicular windows to right of main doorway with square heads and labels with headstops. Single lancet on left, 2-light Geometrical west window. Clerestory has four small Decorated style windows. Nave has shallow parapet. Tower of 3 stages has crenellated parapet with gargoyles and finials. Single-light lancets with cusped heads and paired lancets to bell-stage. Interior: chancel and south aisle have Decorated piscinas with crocketed ogee canopies. 4-bay south arcade has arches of a single chamfered order, wide chamfered hood moulds and octagonal piers, those opposite the entrance have carved heads. Nave roof is supported on carved stone corbel heads. Pulpit made from C16 and C17 continental woodwork panels given by Col. North. C12 tub-shaped font. New pews and gallery (since removed) in 1823. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p428-9; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p186)

Listing NGR: SP3899741733

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244809
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 428-9
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 186

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/14377/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].