CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1299891
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299891.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:06:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tidcombe and Fosbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 29005 58252

Details

TIDCOMBE AND FOSBURY TIDCOMBE SU 25 NE 9/215 Church of St. Michael (formerly listed as Parish 22.8.66 Church of St Michael) II* Anglican parish church, C14, C15 and C17. Rendered flint with stone dressings. Brick porch. Tile and lead roofs. Nave, aisles, north porch, chancel and west tower. 1, 2 and 3-light windows with trefoiled ogee heads and no hoods. 3-light east window. Low 2- stage C17 tower with single light square bell openings and short corner obelisks to parapet. Brick buttresses to west face, one incorporating datestone EHWL 1707. North porch gabled brick with rubbed arch and datestone, EHWT 1675. Interior: Nave of 2 bays shortened from 3 bays when tower rebuilt. North arcade of double chamfered orders on octagonal column with leaf carved capital, early C14. South arcade similar, but aisle narrower. Clerestorey windows. 2 chamfered order chancel arch and brackets for rood screen. Roof low pitched, C16-C17. North aisle has low wall tomb and recess under east window containing C15 encaustic tiles. Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Roof of similar date to nave. South door raised high. Chancel of 2 bays but probably originally longer. North and south doors and blocked arch on north side perhaps to former chapel. Wall recess on south. Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Roof C15 uniform scantling collar truss and brattished wall plates Chancel restored and paved in C19. Fittings: Font, simple conical limestone bowl date undetermined. C19 communion rail. Monuments: Nave, 2 wall tablets, white marble on grey slate. JOHN STRATTON, 1916 by J. Lloyd of Bedwyn, and Great War roll. Chancel: North side; Wall tablet, grey marble on white marble shelf, by Osmund of Sarum. Central relief urn surrounded with family shields all white marble, to THOMAS RENDALL of Milston, died 1831, and family. Also 2 wall tablets, 1826, by W. Gibbs, to SARAH RENDALL, and 1897, by H. Page of Andover, to HENRY RENDALL and family. South Aisle: Wall tablet to EDWARD TANNER, 1845, marble, sarcophagus with draped urn. (Reference: Pevsner Sir N. Buildings of England: Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU2900558252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310939
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05990/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham J Greaves. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].