CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1299904
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299904.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 16:18:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Boughton Aluph
National Grid Reference:
TR 03320 48144

Details

TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CHURCH LANE (west end)

5/6 Church Of All Saints

27.11.57 I

Parish Church. C13 chancel and chapel, otherwise C14 with C15 east windows. C17 porches. Restored in 1878. Flint and rubble, with rubble and ashlar dressings, and brick porches and buttresses. Nave, aisles, transepts, chancel, north-east chapel, crossing tower with prominent 2 stage stair turret, north and south porchs. The west and north transept windows are of same C14 curvilinear design, as was the now blocked south transept window, of 4 lights with cinquefoil over. North aisle with 2 C19 3 light windows in brick, south aisle with 2 C19 3 light windows in curvilinear style, all in plain chamfered surrounds. North chapel with 2 lancets to west, and 2 paired lancets with quatrefoils over to east, all C13. Chancel with 1 C15 three light Perpendicular window and 1 C14 two light curvilinear window on south wall. Chancel east window is 5 light C15 Perp., chapel east window 4 light C15 Perp. West door C18 plank in C14 roll-moulded surround between 2 large offset buttresses. C17 brick porches, that on north with rendered moulded arched opening, that on south with brick cornice and parapet gable, with large brick chimney to east. North chapel with plain ½ sunk doorway between 2 west lancets. Transept and aisles on weathered plinth, parapet roof, and several large offset buttresses repaired in brick, large brick flying buttress to south-east corner of chancel. Tower and turret have irregular single C14 lights. Interior- Nave, aisles, transepts and crossing: one build, 1329 - 61 on heraldic evidence. 4 bay nave arcade, octagonal piers on moulded bases, double chamfered arches. Crossing piers are continuation of nave arcade, only slightly more massive, with crossing arches of larger span. All of chalk blocks. All windows and doors possess original reveals with angular 4 centred arches over west and north door. North door C17 plank with door width plain metal hinges. South door plastered over. North chapel: 4 windows and door in north wall all of same C13 date, with plain chamfered reveals dying into plain jambs. C13 arcade to chancel of 3 squat round piers, various moulded and undercut capitals and 'water-holding' bases, but with same double-chamfered arches as nave. Chancel: chancel arch as nave and transept crossing arches. On chancel south wall 2 blocked window openings, the westernmost blocked by the C14 stair turret, the easterly cut through by C14 curvilinear window. Both chancel and chapel at lower level than transepts and crossing, with step down to east. Fittings. Holy water stoup by north door. C13 sedile in chancel, hollow- chamfered and undercut surround, attached shafts of uneven height in jambs, drip-mould over. Piscina to east with C14 leaf crockets over C13 trefoil. Small plain aumbrey cut by crockets over the piscina. Piscinas also in the north chapel and south transept this with ogee-head. C15 bracket carried on female head in chancel, and C15 demi-angel bracket in chapel. North transept east wall with C15 wall painting of the Trinity, with 2 brackets once supporting a C17 momument. C14 wooden screen in north chapel, with solid lower panels, and 8 light traceried screens either side of 4 light double door,roll moulded and hollow chamfered beam on top. C17 altar rails in chancel. Fragments of C14 glass in chancel east window, coronation of the Virgin, representations of Edward III and Eleanor, C14 heraldry in north transept window, and various fragments in west window. Cont... Cont. Church of All Saints Perpendicular C15 octagonal font. Monuments in north, or "Moyle" chapel. To Amye Clerk (nee Moyle), d.1631. Recumbent shrouded figure, children at head and feet, below a coffered pediment on corinthian paired capitals in white marble on black field. Possibly by Edward Marshall.(B.O.E. Kent II, 96). Black tablet on floor, badly damaged when removed from north transept, to Captain Robert Moyle d. 1639, moulded arch surround carved with military trophies. On chapel south pier, Sir Robert Moyle, d. 1661, wall tablet, black and white marble, on consoles with scrolls and broken pediment over containing achievement. Coat of arms in lozenge, C17, on north chapel north wall (B.O.E. Kent II 149).

Listing NGR: TR0327948214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
181366
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969), 149

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08246/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P. H. Sampson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].