CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1299950

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 10:42:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Winterslow

National Grid Reference: SU 22903 32511

Details

WINTERSLOW THE STREET, West Winterslow SU 23 SW (east side) 7/221 Church of All Saints 23.3.60 II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C13 and 1866 by T.H. Wyatt. Flint with limestone dressings. Tiled roof, aisle roof continuous with nave, and slate to north aisle. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch raised as tower. Simple chancel. Exterior of 1866, square headed windows, 1, 2 and 3 cinquefoiled lights to south aisle and chancel, ogee tracery to north aisle. Three light Perpendicular style east and west windows. Angle buttresses. Tower of 2 stages with single light to ringing chamber and 2-light bell openings. Crenellated parapet and pyramidal tiled roof. Porch outer arch with queen and bishop label terminals. Boarded inner door. Interior: Nave and south aisle early C12, an arcade of 4 round arches on cross piers with chamfered capitals. North aisle added early C13, arcade of round columns, bases and capitals carrying slightly pointed arches. Many elements reworked or renewed 1866. C19 roof of 4 bays, open arch braced trusses on corbels, with intermediate trusses, and C19 roofs to aisles. Narrow arches at east end of arcade, on north side opening to extension of aisle. C13 chancel arch, but chancel now all C19, plastered, with 3-bay open roof and south priest's door. Fittings: Font, C12, simple tub with lead lining. Pulpit: C17 carved work with figures of apostles, two with Gothic surrounds, repaired C19, and brass candleholders added. Organ by Clark of Bath, recased. C19 stained glass in east and west windows, and in north aisle, a window of 1918 in colourful Pre-Raphaelite style. Legacy board in south aisle. Monuments: Nave: Formal marble tablet on grey gabled field. Pediment with arms and mantling, table and apron, to Elizabeth Egerton of Roche Court, died 1830. North aisle: 4 wall tablets, from east: a) White marble, a cushioned tablet in fine baroque surround, curtained, with putti and death's head. Urn over with coloured torch. To Dorothy Thistlethwayte, died 1715, husband John added 1724. b) Marble. Shield shaped tablet with low relief putti in top corners, to Margreta Cooper, died 1771. Other members of family added. c) Marble. Similar but shorter shield, to John and Mary Cooper, died 1732, and others. d) Lozenge shaped marble tablet. Oval cushioned Latin inscription with scroll over, putti at sides, and coloured arms below. To Peregrine Thistlethwaite, died 1694. a) and d) are fine examples of Baroque monuments. South Aisle: Seven wall monuments, from east: a) and b) C20 wall memorials, alabaster and limestone. c) Slate panel within limestone projecting surround on brackets, free standing and supported oval painted arms over. To John Thistlethwayte, died 1647. Bold florid lettering. d) Similar, with cornice and larger arms over, Latin inscription to Cecilia Thistlethwaite, died 1637. e) As last, English inscription to Gabriell Pile, died 1637. f) Similar, but without arms over, to Giles Thistlethwayte, died 1657. g) As last, to Alexander Thistlethwayte, died 1715. An interesting group unequivocally recording relationships and inheritance. In Chancel: North wall: a) White gabled tablet on grey, by Osmond. To Matthew Marsh, BD, died 1840. b) Small slate tablet with moulded limestone frame with cornice, to Dorothy Stanesby, died 1587. South wall: a) Simple white tablet on grey, by Osmond. To Catherine Thistlethwayte Pelham, died 1827. b) Limestone tablet with egg and dart surround, to Margaret Marsh, died 1862. c) Limestone tablet to Geoffrey Codrington and wife of Roche Court, commemorating refurbishing of chancel, 1975. Furnishings: C18 fielded panelled chest at west end of nave. C19 Persian runner in vestry, and a simple drop leaf table. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)

Listing NGR: SU2290332511

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320109

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing