BOROUGH TREASURER'S DEPARTMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1299964
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
BOROUGH TREASURER'S DEPARTMENT, HOWARD STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:04:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOROUGH TREASURER'S DEPARTMENT, HOWARD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35668 68421

Details

TYNEMOUTH HOWARD STREET (east side) NZ 3568 SE North Shields 14/85 Borough Treasurer's Department. G.V. II Nonconformist church, now Borough offices. 1856-57 by Green for United Free Methodists. Sandstone ashlar front, rubble left return; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, gabled front. 3 full-height arched panels contain double doors under fanlights in recessed keyed arches flanking central square-headed tripartite sash with bracketed sill and raised keyed surround. Similar treatment to round-headed first floor sashes, the central tripartite. Corniced coped gable with blocks at feet. Banded ashlar chimney at apex. Historical note: built for the Free Methodist Church, formed in North Shields in 1850 by the Wesleyan Association, the Protestant Methodists and the Armenian Methodists. Source: H.E. Craster, History of Northumberland vol. VIII 1907, p.376. Hetton-le-Hole Primitive Methodist Chapel, dated 1858, bears a strong resemblance to this building.

Listing NGR: NZ3566868421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303330
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Craster, H H E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish Of Tynemouth, , Vol. 8, (1907), 376

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00858/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].