CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1300046
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300046.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:21:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Wroxton
National Grid Reference:
SP 41730 41760

Details

WROXTON CHURCH STREET SP4040-4140 (East side) 10/186 Church of All Saints 08/12/55 GV II* Parish church. C14 with C15 clerestory and aisle roofs. 1748 tower rebuilt by Sanderson Miller at the expense of Francis, Lord North of Wroxton Abbey. 1885 restoration by Bodley and Garner. Regular coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. 5-window range. Chancel has a 5-light east window with intersecting tracery and two 3-light similar windows on both north and south. Aisles have 3-light windows with intersecting tracery and 2-and 3-light lancets with cusped heads. Clerestory has four 2-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds and label stops. 3 entrances. South porch has a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and headstops. South doorway has an arch with 3 orders of roll moulding and pointed, panelled door. Priest's door to right of south porch has a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and a plank door. West tower of 3 stages has west doorway with panelled door: Pilasters through each stage and crenellated parapet. Second stage has clock tower inserted within blank window. 2-light louvred opening to bell-chamber stage has ogee shaped hood mould. Chancel, nave and aisles have shallow stone parapets. Sundial on south aisle. Interior: Chancel. 2 seat sedilia under crocketed ogee canopies with finials. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has C14 arcades of 4 bays with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. North and south aisle chapels retain moulded frames of reredoses on east walls; north chapel has piscina under a crocketed canopy, south chapel has 2 moulded image brackets. C14 font recarved in 1845-6. Pulpit made up of Continental C16 and C17 carved woodwork given by Lord North. Communion rails, wainscotting and C15 screen also have inset C16/C17 woodwork. Gallery at west end 1738. Late C18/early C19 box pews. Chancel windows have stained glass panels of the 12 apostles by Clayton and Bell, 1885. Windows at the east end of the north and south aisles by Burlinson and Grylls, 1884 and 1894. Partly renewed and repaired arched tiebeam roofs. Monuments include: canopied alabaster tomb chest with effigies to Sir William Pope, Earl of Downe (d.1631) and his wife Anne (d.1625) with kneeling children; marble wall slab to Lord North (P.M.) (d.1792) carved by John Flaxman in 1800. Wall slab to the 3 wives of Francis, Lord Guildford (d.1790) by Joseph Wilton, 1793. Brass in chancel to Margaret Bustard (d.1557) mother of Sir Thomas Pope, founder of Trinity College, Oxford. (VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p185-6: Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p860-1)

Listing NGR: SP4173041760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244743
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 860-1
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 185-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11126/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].