CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1300103
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300103.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 05:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Manningford
National Grid Reference:
SU 13964 58025

Details

MANNINGFORD MANNINGFORD BRUCE SU 15 NW 2/86 Church of St. Peter 27.5.64 I Anglican parish church on site of Roman building. Early C12, C13 and C15, restored 1882 by J.L. Pearson. Romanesque work in coursed herringbone flint, with limestone quoining, later work random flint. C19 lead roofs, replaced by tile over nave. Nave, apsidal chancel, and south porch. Nave has one C12 window on north, and chancel two, single splayed with flush voussoirs, the outer arris slightly chamfered. No east window. West window C13, three-light bar tracery. C15 two-light windows inserted to south side of nave and chancel. Limestone quoins at springing of apse. Nave and chancel reroofed to steep pitch in 1882 and south porch rebuilt in C14 style. Over west end of nave, lead covered belltower with pyramidal roof and open traceried gallery. Interior: Simple Romanesque 2-cell structure, the nave 5.73m x 10.25m, walls 1.02m thick. Wide chancel arch with 2 rings of voussoirs, interlocked 'V'-wise towards nave only. Tall north and south doors, with taller rere-arches, also without decoration. C19 wagon roof. Chancel with two aumbries. Barrel vault C19, boarded in parquet fashion and semi-dome over apse. Walls painted by Clayton & Bell, the upper parts outlined as ashlar in C14 style, perhaps restoring original. Two glass windows also by Clayton & Bell. Fittings: Font, C19 square, in Romanesque style. Pulpit c1920. Pews and stalls by Pearson. Painted reredos designed by Pearson, executed by Clayton & Bell. C19 iron openwork sanctuary rail. South door to nave boarded and cross battened with iron banding on face, probably C12 rehung in C19. Organ, early C19 in later case. Monuments: In chancel 3 wall tablets on north side, white marble: from east (a) coloured arms over segmental pediment on framed inscription. Bracket below, to Mary Nicholas, died 1686. (b) Pedimented tablet with gadrooned string below, apron and putto under. To Edward Nicholas, died 1706. (c) Simple tablet to George Wells died 1813, and wife. In nave: Two tablets, white on grey marble: (a) Tablet with guilloche and mutules under, by Reeves of Bath, to John Grant, died 1810, and wife. (b) Oval slate -to Elizabeth Grank Meek, and sister, 1956, and (c) Plain tablet by Reeves, to John Alexander, died 1836. Also two C19 and one C20 brasses. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975, 330-331.)

Listing NGR: SU1396458026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311037
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 330-331

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09083/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].