Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300179.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:55:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 24618 23594


WHITEPARISH COMMON ROAD SU 22 SW (east side) 7/287 Church of All Saints 23/3/60


Anglican parish church. C12, south aisle partly C14, 1870 restoration by William Butterfield. Irregular limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof, shingled tower. Plan: nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north porch and organ chamber, west tower and C20 south-east vestry. Gabled porch has pointed doorway with continuous string course carried over as pointed hoodmould, quatrefoil over, coped verge. North aisle has three C19 square- headed windows, two with 3 cusped lights and one with 2 cusped lights, buttresses between and diagonal buttress to corner, catslide roof, east window of aisle is 3-light C19 geometric with hoodmould. Chancel has two square-headed windows with 2 cusped lights, evidence of blocked arch in rubble wall, early C16 pointed east window of 3 lights, south side has square headed 2-light window to right and round-arched priest's door and ogee-headed lancet now within vestry of 1969 by A. Stocken. South aisle has C19 3-light geometric window to east and 2 and 3-light windows as on north side, to right is fine external lateral stack with coped offsets and cylindrical stack with attached shafts. West end has C14 pointed moulded doorcase with double doors by Butterfield, C14 3-light window has hoodmould with carved head terminals, 2-light geometric windows to aisles. Oak-shingled belfry has timber cusped openings with louvres, steep pyramidal shingled roof. Interior: Porch has arch-braced collar roof, pointed moulded inner doorway with double doors with ornamental Butterfield hinges. Nave has 3-bay scissor-rafter roof with braced tie beams, open wooden stairs to belfry at west end. 4-bay arcades; the north has plain pointed arches on cylindrical columns with moulded capitals, south has two plain pointed arches on cylindrical columns with multi- scalloped capitals to east, west bays have double-chamfered arches with octagonal column and respond, aisles are entirely rebuilds, with polychrome segmental arches over windows and plastered walls with bands of limestone. Irregular C13 pointed polychrome chancel arch on restored half-shafts. Chancel has exposed wagon roof, polychrome tiled floor. Fittings: low pews, octagonal stone font with marble shafts, at west end and pulpit by Butterfield. East window glass by Baillie and Mayer, 1854, good glass of 1880s to north and south of chancel, east window of south aisle by Gibbs, 1871. Two fine C17 wall tablets in chancel with skulls on apron and cornice with arms, to Edward St. Barbe died 1621 and Mary Hungerford died 1692, fine baroque tablet to Giles Eyre of Brickworth House, died 1655, at west end. C19 classical marble tablets in aisles, several signed, such as one to John Wane died 1834 by Osmond of Sarum. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU2463423595


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07674/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Margaret Penwarden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].