GALLOWS TAMKIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1300224
Date first listed:
05-Nov-2010
Statutory Address:
GALLOWS TAMKIN, COOMBE WOOD GOLF COURSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GALLOWS TAMKIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300224.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 14:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
GALLOWS TAMKIN, COOMBE WOOD GOLF COURSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 19857 69948

Details

KINGSTON UPON THAMES

59/3/1 COOMBE WOOD GOLF COURSE 30-MAY-1951 GALLOWS TAMKIN (Formerly listed as: COOMBE WOOD GOLF COURSE CONDUIT ON COOMBE WOOD GOLF COURSE)

GV II Tamkin house. 1538-40, partly restored in the C20 and early C21.

EXTERIOR A single-storey red brick building with a gabled roof which is steeply pitched and tiled. The front (south) elevation has a restored four-centred stone archway with stone block jambs and a slit window above. The brick walls have been restored.

INTERIOR The interior is five steps below ground level and has a floor constructed of roof tiles laid on edge. None of the original fixtures are visible.

HISTORY Gallows Tamkin was constructed in 1538-40 as part of a new conduit to provide Hampton Court Palace with water from springs at Coombe about 5km to the north-east. An existing conduit had been established at Hampton village by one of the previous owners, Sir Giles Daubeney or Thomas Wolsey. However following the acquisition of Hampton Court by King Henry VIII, there was need for a greater supply of water, maintained at a higher pressure. After the suppression of Merton Priory in 1538, land was set aside in upper Kingston for a new water supply system. A summary account covering the period 1538 to 1545, mentions 'charges of the condyte from Combhill' and also a sum of £100 spent on the construction. The water was collected at the head of the springs in Coombe, in water tanks covered by secure brick buildings known as conduit houses. There were three conduit houses known as: Coombe Conduit, Gallows Conduit, and Ivy Conduit, all of which survive. The water flowed under gravity in underground lead pipes to the Palace. The route of the pipes passed under the rivers Hogsmill and Thames via several tamkin houses. These were small brick buildings with stopcocks and expansion tanks that allowed part of the pipe to be isolated so leaks could be identified and repaired. Gallows Tamkin is the only tamkin house still standing.

There are records of repair work to the conduit in the early C17 and early C18. However in 1742 the Office of Works ordered a survey of the conduit and undertook a major overhaul to increase its efficiency. It continued to supply Hampton Court until 1876. Gallows Tamkin was incorporated into the grounds of Coombe Wood Golf Course in 1904.

SOURCES Lindus Forge, J, Coombe Hill Conduit Houses and the Water Supply System of Hampton Court Palace (1959), In Surrey Archaeological Collections, Vol 56, 3-14 Thurley, S, The Royal Palaces of Tudor England (1993), 163-170 Thurley, S, Hampton Court: A Social and Architectural History (2003), 73-4, 112, 285, 322-3 Panizzo, P and Lown, S, The Conduit Houses of Coombe - the ancient water supply to Hampton Court Palace (2006), pamphlet

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Gallows Tamkin is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as a rare surviving mid-C16 tamkin house that although restored retains original fabric; * Historic interest: as the only tamkin house still standing as part of a Tudor water supply system to Hampton Court Palace; * Group value: for its historical and functional association with Gallows Conduit House, Ivy Conduit House and Coombe Conduit House, buildings that formed part of the same water supply system, and Hampton Court Palace, the royal palace which the conduit supplied.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203104
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01046/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Sparks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top