CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1300845
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:10:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Shenington with Alkerton
National Grid Reference:
SP 37721 42924

Details

SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON ALKERTON SP 3642-3742 7/48 Church of St. Michael 08/12/55 GV I Church. c.1200 with late C14 clerestory and chancel rebuilt in early C17. 2 upper storeys of tower added in early C14. Porch of C14. Restorations of 1889 by J. Cossins. Ironstone ashlar. Chancel and south porch have steeply pitched stone slate roofs. Chancel, central tower, nave, south aisle, south porch. Chancel has a 3-light lancet on east and 3-light stone mullion window on south. South aisle has a doorway with a plain round arch and plank door. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows restored in C19. A 2-light lancet with trefoiled head to left of porch. Diagonal and clasping buttresses. Gabled south porch has a pointed arched doorway with hood mould, stone bench seats and stoup. Plank door with wrought-iron hinges. Nave has two 2-light Perpendicular windows to ground floor and clerestory on north. Pointed, arched doorway on north. 4 similar late C14 clerestory windows on south with elaborately carved corbel table with beasts, grotesque figures and musical instruments. Characteristic of work carried out by the north Oxfordshire masons appearing at Hanwell, Adderbury and Bloxham. Central tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Cusped lancets and slit window to staircase. Interior. East arch to the chancel re-cut in C14. North and south arches are round headed, the north blocked, the south leading to the organ chamber added in 1889 by J. Cossins. Nave has restored cambered tiebeam roof, partly original, supported on stone head corbels. 2-bay south arcade of c.1200 with 2 chamfered orders, bell shaped capitals and a round pier opposite entrance with trumpet-scallop decoration. C12 tub shaped font and C19 stone base. Effigy to unknown Knight in chancel. C18 memorials to Pointer family, and memorials to Timothy Lydiat pastor d.1652/3, and Hannah the wife of Richard Burden, pastor d.1646/7. (VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp51-2; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp421-2)

Listing NGR: SP3771842924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244604
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 421-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 51-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11123/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pauline Roenisch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].