CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301135.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:12:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 46546 37949
SO 43 NE; 3/30
CLEHONGER CP, Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14 with C17 or C18 rebuilding. Restored in late C19 and in 1956. Roughly coursed squared sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north chapel, south aisle and south porch. Two-bay chancel.
West tower has four stages, battered moulded plinth and embattled parapet. One small central lancet to faces of ground and first stages. Similarly positioned but larger lancets to third stage. Top stage is ashlar with central 2-centred arch containing two trefoil-headed openings to each side of bell-chamber. Stages and parapets are divided by moulded strings. Eastern openings to top two stages only. Large buttress to north-east corner on north side. North elevation has a 2-centred 2-light restored window with Y-tracery and a C14 square- headed window with three trefoil-headed and ogeed lights, the first nearer the tower. Between the two is a square-headed doorway with a C14 door made of three large planks hung on ornate strap hinges. North window of north chapel is C14 and re-set and has three lights under a 2-centred arch. The outer lights have cinquefoiled heads. East window of the chapel is similar to the 3-light window in the north wall of the nave. Chancel is C19 with a pair of cinquefoil headed lancets to both north and south sides. East window is re-set and similar to that of north wall of north chapel. In the south wall is a priest's doorway with a 2-centred head and fragments of C12 chevron voussoirs inset at intervals. South aisle has 3-light C13 east window under a 2-centred head. The lights are uncusped. The two south windows are similar but of two lights forming plain Y- tracery. South porch is late C19 with collar trusses and a collar purlin. South doorway is C13 with semi-circular head and two roll moulded orders. A pair of detached shafts with water-leaf capitals and water-holding bases supports the outer order. The abaci carry across as imposts to the outer order which has a keeled roll moulding. The door is ledged with nail-studs, moulded battens, elaborate strap hinges and scutcheon plate.
INTERIOR has C19 hammer-beam roof to chancel. Nave roof, probably C17, with some restoration, has five trusses each with two collars, tie supported by curved braces rising from corbels and two posts passing from ties through the lower to upper collar. Beneath each post a pendant is suspended from the tie. Interstices of collars and posts have thin trefoiled tracery, perhaps C19. South aisle has three similar trusses. North chapel has single-framed roof. Chancel has C19 stained glass east window, restored in 1964, of Christ giving benediction in the centre light and St Catherine in side light. Re-set piscina is C14 and has trefoiled and ogeed head. To the north is a re-set C14 round bracket. Wall monument for Herbert Aubrey, died 1671, of painted stone and slate has broken pediment flanked by a pair of putti; volutes to the sides and on apron. Chancel arch is C19, double chamfered with 2-centred head, and supported on deep corbels. Nave has south arcade of 2-centred double chamfered arches with octagonal abaci on cyclindrical piers and water-holding bases on square plinths. Tower arch has unmoulded 2-centred head with plain imposts. Above is a blocked C12 semi-circular headed window. Three-light north window has fragments of C14 stained glass including two heads, one of which is crowned. Beneath is the internally blocked north door with plaque to three people of the parish who fell from 1939-45. Nearby is a grey, white and brown marble wall monument for Anne Green, died 1783, with scrolled pediment and urn. South aisle has C14 piscina with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. In the south wall is a low wide recess under 2-centred head decorated by roll-moulding with fillet, and containing C13 coffin-lid with cross in low relief. Font, probably C19, has cyclindrical stem and bowl, the latter with curved underside. Wall monument to John Matthews MP, died 1826, in white marble with slate back and draped urn. East window has stained glass for Blanche Edith Gloster-Downing, died 1966, with the inscription "HE IS RISEN". Organ is 1936 by Ingram & Co, Hereford. Late C19 North American harmonium with mahogany case. Tapered upper part of coffin lid with cross in circular design, probably C13. North chapel has C14 ogeed and trefoil-headed piscina with part circular drain. On the east wall is a double bracket with deep mouldings beneath which is an aumbry with ledged door and strap hinges. East window has stained glass in similar design to that of south aisle, for Phyllis Molly Meredith, died 1960, depicting St Anne and St Francis. Re-set mid-C14 altar tomb with big effigy of Sir Richard Pembrugge in armour with a dog at his feet and angels at his head. Small altar tomb, possibly for his wife, Petronilla, has delicate effigy with gown and belt, the head on cushion flanked by angels, a bird at the feet. Some remnants of paint. Two brasses for Sir John Barre, died 1483, and his wife, the latter half-turned towards her husband. On the west wall two wall monuments to Richard Prosser and Francis Parry, both died 1839, in form of Tudor arches, flanked by pinnacles with cresting along the top. North window has two stained glass C14 dragons in the spandrels. John Matthews was probably responsible for planting an acorn at Belmont House (qv) in 1788. Richard Prosser was presumably an Anglican forbear of F C Wegg-Prosser who, on becoming a Catholic convert, founded Belmont Abbey (qv).
Listing NGR: SO4654637948
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 25-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 101
Snewin, G M , All Saints Church Cleonger A Short History, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing