BELFRY APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1301249
Date first listed:
16-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
BELFRY APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELFRY APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:25:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELFRY APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pembridge
National Grid Reference:
SO 39110 58086

Details

PEMBRIDGE CP - SO 3858 - 3958

10/29 Belfry approximately 5 m north-east of the 16.10.67 Church of St Mary

GV I

Detached belfry. Early C13 origins, reconstructed during C15 - C16 when ambulatory was added and internal structure altered and further remodelled during C17 with addition of the spire. Restorations of 1898, 1950 and 198:2-3. by Leonard Baart Associates. Timber-framed structure with later added sand- stone rubble wall to the lower stage, weatherboard cladding; lower hipped and and upper pyramidal roof covered with stone slates, shingle to spire. Square tower with later octagonal plan wall enclosing an ambulatory to the ground stage; entrance to south-west. Three diminishing,stages, final stage forming spire; clock faces to west and north and loop vents to three sides with a pair of similar openings to east side. Broad doorway with triple moulding to jambs and wooden lintel. Interior reveals timber-framed structure of tower; four massive corner posts survive from the earlier structure with mortices signify- ing the position of the former internal structure of the bracing. Present bracing probably dates from the C15 or C16 and has small horizontal and vertical members with diagonal struts. There are also further reinforcing braces that have been added at a later date and during periods of restoration. (RCHM, Vol III, p 161; BoE, p 267).

Listing NGR: SO3910958086

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150287
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 161
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 267

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09673/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Moss. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].