This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

List entry Number: 1301343

Location

THE CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Weobley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 149911

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP CHURCH ROAD (west side)

14/129 The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul 2.9.66

GV I

Parish church. C13, incorporating some C12 fragments, partly rebuilt C14 with detached tower, tower attached in C15. Spire partly rebuilt in late C17 after a lightning strike. Church restored 1865. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings under a stone tile and tile roof. Nave with north and south aisles, tower to north-west corner, and chancel with a north vestry. Tower built in mid-C14 of five storeys, undivided externally, capped by an octagonal spire. It has a deep plinth and a crenellated parapet with tall crocketted pinnacles at the angles, the faces of the pinnacles being traceried. The east, north and west walls have a recess with window of three trefoiled lights with tracery under the two-centred head. Only the central light is pierced to form a window, the side lights having a bracket for statues. The spire is supported at the bottom by flying buttresses from the pinnacles. The side walls of the spire each have a window of two ogee trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, set in a crocketted gable with side pinnacles. South aisle of C13 is of four bays, that to east carried up to form a C19 gable containing a rose window over two lancets. To west of this, a C19 window of three stepped lancets, then the early C14 stone porch with a further C19 window to west of two tre- foiled lights under a two-centred head. The south porch, raised in the C16, has a two-centred outer arch of two chamfered orders. The side walls each have a lancet window. The roof is low-pitched C16 painted timber construction. The south door is re-set C12 with a semi-circular arch of two moulded orders, the inner continued down the jambs, the outer with chevron ornament resting on shafts (lost). The moulded label is C13. The C14 clerestorey has four windows each of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The west wall has a 2-light C14 window over a pair of C13 lancets. The east window is of three trefoiled lights. The north aisle is C15 incorporating the C14 north transept. The east bay is gabled to the former transept with a C14 window of two trefoiled lights and a two-centred head with a moulded label. To west of this a C15 window of four cinquefoiled lights with tracery in the two-centred head. The former north door to the west end has a segmental pointed head and was blocked in the C19 to form a 2-light window. The west wall has a C15 window of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery-in the two-centred head. The east window is of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The nave west wall was rebuilt in the early c14 and has a west door with a two- centred arch of four moulded orders, two with ball flower ornament continued down the jambs which also had a shaft with moulded capital. Above-this the west window has a two-centred head over four restored trefoil lights. Chancel built C13, the south wall of three bays, the outer two with three stepped lancets, the centre of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. North wall has the central early C14 north vestry with C19 window flanked by two windows, each of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. East window is C15, of five tre- foiled lights with tracery in the two-centred head. Interior: the nave has five-bay arcades to both aisles of the early C14 with two-centred arches of two hollow chamfered orders with moulded labels on octagonal columns. The eastern arch of each arcade has ball flower ornament. There is a doorway to the north of the north-east respond leading to the roof loft stair, which has an upper doorway with a segmental pointed head. There are various blocking pieces marking the position of the main supports for the rood loft. The chancel arch is C14 and two-centred, of three sunken chamfered orders, the inner springing from from triple shafts. Roofs are mostly C19, although the south aisle retains two trusses at the east end with moulded and cambered tie-beams. Fittings: chancel screen C19 wrought iron. At east end of north wall a memorial to Colonel John Birch, MP, died 1691. It is of white and grey marble with a pedestal and semi-circular headed niche flanked by Corinthian columns support- ing a broken pediment with trophies of arms flanking the main composition. In niche a standing figure of a man in armour holding a baton. Set against north wall an altar tomb bearing an early C15 effigy of a man in armour. In south wall a two-centred recess with label, a pair of mid-C15 effigies of a man in armour and a lady. The C14 font has an octagonal bowl with traceried sides on a plain stem with a moulded base. The south door bears the initials SH, IB and CHW, and the date 1712 on a small shield. (RCHM, 3, pp 192-195; BoE, pp 311-312).

Listing NGR: SO4017451865

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 192-195
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 311-312

National Grid Reference: SO 40177 51865

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301343 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 06:14:20.

End of official listing