BEAR PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301406
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
BEAR PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEAR PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:17:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
BEAR PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Carperby-cum-Thoresby
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SE 00628 88878

Details

CARPERBY CUM THORESBY BEAR PARK NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 SE 08 NW 15/89 Bear Park 16.1.52 GV II* Manor house. C17, perhaps with earlier core. Formerly the seat of one branch of the Metcalfe family of Wensleydale. Rubble, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, E-plan with central through-passage. 5 first-floor windows on south elevation. Below window 3, 6-panel door and overlight in ashlar surround with wave-moulded arris, Tudor-arched head and hood-mould. Mullion windows, double-chamfered with a hollow on inner chamfer, and hood-moulds, mostly renewed. To left of door, 2 bays of 3-light windows; 3-light first- floor window above door; to right of door a 2-light window on ground floor; then 1 bay of 4-light windows of somewhat different design; a 4-light window on the ground floor and above it an original 5-light window. At each end, unequal coped gables of the cross-wings, each containing an oculus with ashlar moulded and keyed surround, that to the right with a cross saltire on each key. The right-hand gable continues down over an outshut with a 3-light window to the ground floor. C19 ashlar stacks at ends and to right of through-passage. Rear elevation: 2 unequal cross-wings and a porch project forward. Central single-storey gabled porch, with on the right a board door in ashlar quoined surround with wave-moulded arris and Tudor- arched head, to its left a 2-light double-chamfered mullion window, and above an oculus with moulded ashlar keyed surround. Double-chamfered mullion windows, of 2-lights on ground floor to right of porch, and of 3-lights on first floor on both sides. On ground floor to left of porch, a stone slab, said to be from Coverham Abbey, perhaps from the front of an altar, richly carved with a coat of arms with the Instruments of the Passion held by 2 small angels, flanked by the initials of Christ and the Virgin Mary. Left cross-wing has original 3-light window on the ground floor and 4-light window on the first floor. Right return of left cross-wing: board door in ashlar quoined moulded surround with Tudor arched head, cross-window to staircase, 3-light window to first floor. Right cross-wing terminates flush with house but has lower service-wing extension with external steps to first floor and 3-light mullion window on north end, and renewed openings to left return. Interior: in Dining Room, on high side of through-passage, C17 oak panelling with frieze, moulded first-floor beams and joists; beyond it, in Sitting Room, perhaps originally the parlour, a small C17 or earlier stone fireplace. In the old kitchen, at the low end, a large C17 fireplace with chamfered segmental-arched surround with masons' marks. In angle beside it, a circular stone staircase with below it a cavity, perhaps a priest-hole, as the Metcalfes were Recusant. Dalesman, November 1952, pp 370-1. VCH i, p 205.

Listing NGR: SE0062888878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
323111
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York, (1907), 205
'Dalesman' in November, (1952), 370-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].