CHURCH OF ST EDMUND KING AND MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301436

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND KING AND MARTYR

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND KING AND MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:53:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND KING AND MARTYR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Marske

National Grid Reference: NZ 10455 00501

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE

9/72 Church of St Edmund King and Martyr (formerly listed as 4.2.69 Church of St Edmund) )

GV II*

Church. C12, C17 and early C19. C17 and C19 work for the Hutton family. Rubble, partly rendered at west end, stone slate roof to chancel. 3-bay nave with north aisle, west bellcote and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north aisle. Porch: ashlar, mid C19. Chamfered Tudor arch with hoodmould, Hutton coat of arms above, stepped crenellated parapet. West return: rendered. Inside porch: rendered: on floor, chamfered grave cover, and resting on it large pieces of sandstone with black-letter inscriptions, also a Jacobean finial; nearby a broken grave cover with part of a floreated cross; early C19 panelled door with wrought-iron latch within C12 round- arched doorway of 2 slightly-chamfered orders, the inner one shafted and with scalloped capitals, hoodmould. Nave from left: stepped buttress; ashlar surround to rectangular window west of porch; above porch chamfered ashlar window, formerly to gallery; to right of porch, chamfered plinth; two 2-light windows of 1683, both with segmental-arched heads to lights and a circle above in plate tracery, the central mullions fluted, and with moulded labels resting on cornice capitals, that to west has date 1683 inscribed on plate tracery and dogtooth motif to heads of lights, that to east has inscription "IOHN HUTTON SQVIR", and sundial above; stepped buttress; crenellated parapet; flat roof; ashlar coping to right with gable cross. Tile west gable rises higher than the present nave roof, with ashlar coping and bellcote: on its eastside is'"the scar of steeply-pitched roof. West end: rendered; stepped buttresses at ends and in centre of nave; offset halfway up wall; gabled bellcote has twin chamfered pointed-arched bell openings, one with bell; small lancet window in west end of north aisle. North nave aisle: rendered; blocked round-arched doorway near west end; 2- light chamfered mullion window. Chancel: early C19; to right, stepped ashlar buttress with quoins above; in centre, 2-panel priest's door in chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould, flanked by Tudor-arched windows of 2 trefoiled lights with hoodmoulds; ashlar coping to right with gable finial. Tudor-arched east window of 3 trefoiled lights, with hoodmould. North chancel aisle: C13; east window of 2 cinque-cusped lights in straight-headed openings with hoodmould; 2-light chamfered mullion north window. Interior: north nave arcade of 3 bays, with octagonal columns with foliage on capitals, supporting chamfered elliptical arches; the responds are extended downwards with face stops. C13 chamfered semicircular chancel arch on responds which have been extended downwards as half-section C17 balusters. North chancel arcade of 2 plastered elliptical arches, with square abacus capitals to pier and responds. In the north wall, a stop- chamfered 4-centred-arched tomb recess, and standing in it the reticulated tracery of a pointed-arched window, all carved out of one piece of stone. Font: inverted pyramidal octagonal basin, with dogtooth motif on edges, with crude carving on 4 panels and inscriptions "T H" and "1633", commemorating M Timothy Hutton, a merchant of Leeds, who married Margaret Bennet. Roofs are ceiled. Most of the fittings date from 1830, when John Hutton restored the fabric, and are of stained pitchpine, including box pews, Hutton family pew in chancel, and pulpit with reading desk. The altar table and rail, which has square-section balusters, are of late C17 - early C18 date. Monuments: in chancel floor, C18 slab to a John Hutton, and on north side of chancel, John Hutton of Marske esq d1841, by T Smith, London with portrait bust above a long inscription commemorating his term as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1825 and his attributes as a generous patron of learned and scientific societies, a liberal and improving landlord, a political reformist and a hospitable host; over north chancel arcade, Rev John Fisher d1808, by W Foss 1821; on south side of chancel, to Timothy Hutton of Marske and Clifton Castle, d1863, by Skelton of York. Commandment boards on east wall. Above north nave arcade, royal coat of arms of Queen Victoria dated 1850. In the top light of more westerly C17 nave window, roundel of painted glass of a male Hutton and his wife. VCH i, p 103-104.

Listing NGR: NZ1045500501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322773

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 103 104

End of official listing