CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST FELIX
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST FELIX, VILLAGE GREEN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301472 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 01:15:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST FELIX, VILLAGE GREEN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Richmondshire (District Authority)
- Kirby Hill
- National Grid Reference:
- NZ 14029 06598
NZ 1406-1506 KIRBY HILL VILLAGE GREEN
18/49 Church of St Peter and St
Church. C12, C13, C14, C15 and C19. Rubble, stone slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestries. Tower, dated 1397: chamfered plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to left, with worn inscription "AD MCCCLXXXXVII", and below it a later inscription "This Church built Anno Dom 1397 M.T.", and at the top of the buttress a carved figure with musical instrument; stair turret to right with chamfered light vents; chamfered pointed-arched single-light ground-floor window with label; clock and small trefoiled light with hoodmould on second stage, repeated on north side; offset third stage with flat-headed belfry opening of 2 trefoiled lights with hoodmould repeated on all other sides; string with gargoyle, and shields at corners, below crenellated parapet. West ground-floor tower window, hollow double-chamfered, of 2 trefoiled lights and Perpendicular tracery above; hoodmould with head stops. Against the south side is a tombstone commemorating Lucy, wife of Rev James Stubbs, who was buried in the wall in 1805. Porch: late C14; stepped diagonal buttresses; pointed-arched doorway continuously-moulded with hollow chamfer, with label; image niche above with modern figure of St Peter; crenellated ashlar parapet with corner pinnacles and central cross-legged figure. Left return of porch: small vent blocked with copper plaque commemorating John Allen of Fox Hall d1822. Inside porch: bench tables; barrel vault; set into east wall, piece of stone carved with miniature interlaced Romanesque arcading. Inner doorway: pointed-arched, continuously-moulded with hollow double chamfer and with high stop-chamfers, label with shield at apex and head stops. South aisle: C15; chamfered plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to right; stepped buttress flanked by C19 Perpendicular-style 2-light triple-cusped flat-headed windows; set into wall, fragments with chevron motif, 2 halves of a small cross slab grave cover, voluted capital with face mask; chamfered string. East window of south aisle: chamfered plinth; 2-light cinque-cusped flat-headed window with Perpendicular tracery above. Nave south clerestory: late C15; 3 windows, each of 2 pointed cinque-cusped lights in deeply-chamfered segmental-arched opening with label with head stops. North aisle: early C14; single-light trefoiled east window in tall pointed opening with label with head stops; north side has stepped clasping end buttresses; boarded north doorway, pointed-arched continuously-moulded with hollow chamfer and label; buttress flanked by flat-headed windows of cinque-cusped lights, that to west C19. Clerestory as south side. Chancel: late C12; battered plinth below roll moulding; from left, pilaster buttress; early C14 window of 2 trefoiled lights with star-shaped tracery and label with heads at apex and to right stop; part of blocked round-arched doorway; chamfered pointed-arched priest's door with label with head to left, and above it a blocked Romanesque window; pilaster buttress; window of 2 pointed lights with lozenge above with label with small head stops; stepped diagonal buttress; corbel table, some with heads. East end: battered plinth below roll; sill roll; C13 window of 3 pointed lights in double-chamfered opening with four-centred arch and label with head stops, flanked by 2 worn heads, and with other old fragments in walls. Added stepped buttress to right at junction with early C14 gabled vestry which has window of 2 trefoiled lights with star-shaped tracery, and label with head stops, the heating chamber and air-raid shelter added on to east end not of special interest; north side of vestry has chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses, flanking trefoiled single-light window with matching C19 window to west. Interior: north arcade: early C14; 3 bays; octagonal piers, chamfered pointed arches with labels, the easternmost arch smaller and with shafted respond with mid-band. South arcade: C15; 2 bays; chamfered pointed arches on octagonal pier. Tower arch: sharply pointed, of 2 chamfered orders dying into abutments; above it the scar of a lower steeply-pitched roof. Lower stage of tower has taller chamfered rear arches to windows and vault with 8 chamfered ribs and central bell-way; against the west wall is propped a large piece of carved woodwork, possibly the front of a large pew, inscribed "CN. MW. CA. MC. MB. ANNO DOM 1639". North windows contain carved grave slabs, eg cross base in jamb of west window, and cross with sword and Latin inscription used as lintel to eastern window. Near the south door is the font, a circular bowl on a moulded base. Chancel: pointed arch on altered shafted responds, formerly with ambo; on the north side, sill string to late C12 round-arched window with splayed reveal of exposed Romanesque masonry, now giving onto eastern vestry, and old door to vestry in continuously-hollow-moulded pointed-arched opening; on south side, piscina basin. Vestry: piscina basin and chamfered square aumbry in east wall. C19 roofs; 4-bay barrel-truss to chancel, 4-bay elaborately traceried king-post trusses to nave. Good C19 rood screen within chancel arch. Monuments: in chancel, below the piscina, C17 panel with Latin inscription commemorating Lucy Robinson, in moulded frame; on north wall a marble monument to Thomas Wycliffe of Richmond d1821, last surviving male descendant of the reformer Wycliffe, with urn on pedestal above inscription and coat of arms below, by Bennet Flintoft, York. Above north arcade, wall monuments to Rebecca Lax d1775 and Hannah Lax d1811, with urn, by Fisher of York; and also by him one to Thomas Lax of Ravensworth Park d1851, with draped urn. At east end of north aisle, wall monument to Francis Laton d1609 and wife Ann d1622, with many coats of arms on cartouches. Above south arcade, wall monument to John Hind of Gayles, d1836. On south wall of south arcade, large plaque with Latin inscription commemorating Rev Dr John Dakyn D D, d1558, founder of the Grammar School (qv) and Almshouses (qv), the monument being of later date, having the inscription on the frieze below the cornice "G. DAWSON ET I. COATES. GARDIANI AD MDCCCXXIV", and is signed "Tallentire, sculp". Also relating to the Dakyn charities is a wooden press at the west end of the south aisle, with 3 padlocks and the inscription "M. GLOVER, I. HENDERSON. WARDENS. 1784". Hanging on the wall nearby are Dr Dakyn's Statutes founding the charities, wood-bound and in a frame. VCH i, pp 95-97.
Listing NGR: NZ1403406603
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 95-97
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing