CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301508.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:28:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Willersley and Winforton
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 29870 46973
SO 24 NE, 5/120
WINFORTON CP, WINFORTON
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C13 or earlier origins, part rebuilt and extended circa 1300 with further C16 and C17 alterations; restored in 1895. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and timber-framed bell-chamber with boarded infill. Plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles and parapets with cross finials at east end and at end of north transept. West tower, four- bay nave with north transept and south porch, and two-bay chancel.
West tower: two stages and three storeys internally. Lower rubble stage is medieval. It has a battered plinth, a C19 pointed chamfered south doorway and two rectangular lights, one per storey, in the north and west sides. The timber-framed bell chamber was added in the C16. It has three rows of close-set studding and in the central panel of the upper and lower rows are louvred openings. Above is a pyramidal roof and tall weathervane. Nave: heightened in C14. South wall rebuilt in 1895. Side elevations have angled buttresses with offsets at the west end and buttresses with offsets at the east end; all are C19. The north elevation has a pair of C19 lancets and small C19 lancet. The south elevation has three pairs of lancets of a similar date. The north transept was added c1300. It is gabled and has an original 3-light window at its gable end and a C19 pointed chamfered doorway in its east side. There is a C19 external rubble chimney in the east angle. South porch: C19. Gabled and timber-framed on a tall dressed rubble base with ashlar coping. The roof has overhanging eaves and moulded bargeboards, with traceried relief decoration, arch-braced inner and outer king-post trusses and brattished wall-plates. There are 6-light chamfered mullioned openings at each side. The floor paving incorporates some circa 1700 ledger slabs to members of the Guest family and also a slat with a cross incised upon it said to be the former altar slab. The south doorway is also C19 and is pointed with a continuous roll moulding. Chancel: rebuilt c1300, the east wall was rebuilt in 1698 and part of the south wall was again rebuilt in 1895. There is a reset and restored original east window of three lights and nearby is a stone inscribed "John Houlds, 1698" recording the rebuilding of the wall. The side elevations both have two pairs of cusped lancets, all of which are C19 except for the south-east window which is c1300 but much restored.
INTERIOR: there is a timber chancel arch formed by a moulded arch-braced brattished tie beam with pierced quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels. The nave has a c1300 pointed archway opening into the transept (now vestry) of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner spring- ing from semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. To the west of this arch is a blocked doorway of similar date and there is also a blocked doorway between the two south windows of the chancel. A medieval doorway in the west wall of the nave leads into an alcove at the base of the tower. Nave and chancel have C14 wagon roofs with scissor-braces. Chancel has a C19 painted gilded reredos, a c1300 piscina with pointed head, and altar rails with turned balusters, moulded handrails and shaped finials given to the church in 1701. There are also various masons' marks scratched onto the east and south-east windows. The stone font is probably C13 and has an octagonal bowl and circular stem on two-stepped base. The five-sided timber pulpit includes two enriched arcaded panels with inscriptions, one from the Bible, the other stating "This pulpit/ was given/ by Thomas/ Higgins gent/ Anno Domini/ 1613"; the other panels are of late C17 date. There is also an early C18 parish chest given by another Thomas Higgins dated 1722. In the north transept there is a recess with a cusped head and scalloped fan-shaped drain of circa 1300. The church retains a fine late C18 organ case by Tommy Blyth of Middlesex which was reconstructed and enlarged by Reginald Welch of Oxford, in 1867. Memorials: early C19 memorial in the chancel to Abigail Domuile, died 1822, with urn relief. In the nave is a memorial to William Domuile, died 1859, to Edward Price, died 1773, and to samuel, Ferrar, all with urn decoration.
(RCHM, III, p 212-3, item 1; BoE, p 323)
Listing NGR: SO2987046973
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 212-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 323
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing