CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301541

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:53:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blakemere

National Grid Reference: SO 36185 41108

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLAKEMERE CP BLAKEMERE GREEN SO 34 SE 4/11 Church of St Leonard 2.9.66 GV II

Parish church. 1877 by G Truefitt incorporating medieval material. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and graduated slate roof. Nave, with south porch and chancel. Nave of three bays, to west the south door which is C12 with a semi-circular head of two orders, the inner moulded and the outer chamfered with a moulded label. The two windows are each of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred arch with moulded label. North wall has two similar windows and a blocked C14 north door with chamfered jambs and a segmental pointed head. West window of two cinquefoiled lights under a square head. Bellcote to gable above contains three bells. Chancel has two windows in south wall, the western window of one ogee trefoiled light, the eastern of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in the square head. North wall has two lancets, that to the east with a semi-circular head, to west with a pointed head. East window has three trefoiled lancets. Roof of nave of three bays, with arch-braced collar trusses, chancel roof of two bays. Interior: the C12 chancel arch is two-centred and of two orders with a moulded label, the outer order chamfered and continuous, the inner order springs from corbels with short shafts. In the north wall of chancel a small C14 tomb recess with moulded two-centred arch and label. Fittings: font has a C12 bowl with cable moulding to neck, stem C19. Communion rail C17 with turned balusters. Pulpit made up of C17 woodwork, including similar balusters and enriched panels. (RCHM, Vol 1, pp 23-4; BoE, p 76).

Listing NGR: SO3618541108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149969

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 23-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 76

End of official listing