CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301626
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 09:48:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brinsop and Wormsley
National Grid Reference:
SO 42749 47794

Details

WORMSLEY CP - SO 44 NW 4/76 Church of St Mary 2.9.66 GV II* Parish church, now redundant. C12 and C13 with later alterations, and chancel rebuilt probably in late C19. Sandstone rubble with sandstone dress- ings. Welsh slate roofs with tile cresting. Three-bay nave with western bell-cot and two-bay chancel. West elevation has battered plinth, high-set lancet in chamfered recess. C13 gabled bell-cot with two trefoiled openings has battered base which breaks through verge. North elevation of nave has a chamfered triangular-headed blocked doorway to the right-hand side. Above and further to the right is a lancet. Left side has chamfered trefoil-headed light. Chancel has two chamfered lancets. East window has three stepped lancets, no tracery, but under a two-centred arch with moulded label. South elevation of chancel has a chamfered lancet to the left and a pair of square- headed lights to the right. Nave has a lancet to the left of the south porch. Window to right his two lancets, within a C19 restored chamfered two-centred arch, and an oculus in the spandrel. South porch, probably early C20, has coupled rafter roof and a stone bench to east side. South doorway has a massive lintel above which is a tympanum with recessed lozenges. Interior has pine single-frame collar trusses, probably late C20, those of chancel supported from corbels below wall-plate level. Chancel has stained glass in east window with cross-motifs and foliated margins. North and south windows have ruby margins but are otherwise plain. On north wall is brass plaque for Lt Thomas Andrew Greville Rouse-Boughton-Knight, killed aged 19, near Les Boeufs, France, October 1916, and for Rifleman Edward Charlton, a gamekeeper on the Wormsley Estate, killed aged 36, at Sequehart, north of St Quentin, October 1918. Rouse-Boughton-Knight's marker cross is attached to the wall above. Two wrought iron tripods with coronas, each carry a paraffin lamp, probably late C19 or early C20. Chancel arch is C13, double-chamfered and two-centred resting on part octagonal responds and corbels which are probably late C19. Nave has blocked triangular-headed north doorway. Opposite the south door is another blocked opening with continuous convex mouldings and a segmental head. To left of north-east nave window is a bracket with ball-flower ornament. Font is probably C12 or C13 with tapered cyclindrical base and a round-tapered bowl. Oak pulpit is C17 with two sides of panelling. Lower two panels each have enriched arches and are separated from upper panels, which have arabesques, by guilloche ornament. Front of oak desk has four panels with moulded margins, probably late C17. The Church of St Mary is maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. (BoE, p 326; RCHM, Vol III, p 214).

Listing NGR: SO4274947794

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149757
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 214
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 326

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].